Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite download speed reduction

CScottD123
Aspirant

Satellite download speed reduction

With my new modem I'm getting 450mbs at the Orbi RBS43-2000 TRI-BAND base station and via Cat5 connections but my wifi at either of the satellites is less than half that download speed.  Any fixes you can suggest?  THANKS!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Satellite download speed reduction

a lot depends on the devices you're using. The bottleneck usually tends to be the devices you're testing on. 

Plus wifi isn't going to be as fast as wired. It has higher overheads. Plus speeds drop with distance/obstructions/interference. 

I'd recommend reading this on wifi: 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 4
CScottD123
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to provide me this link.  As soon as I complete my CS masters degree, I'll give it a thorough read.  Seriously though, I appreciate the info and actually will take a look at it.  I'm pretty conversant with the tech world so maybe something will stick-out.

Scott

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Its actually a pretty nice little read that breaks it down. Wifi numbers are over rated both based on the router and devices. It causes a lot of misunderstanding. Plus most devices (unless moving a lot of data) don't need a ton of throughput. for example 4k video usually only needs 25-40mbps. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7