Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite in a Cabinet?

JanAloha
Aspirant

Satellite in a Cabinet?

Can my Orbi satellite be located within a cabinet, or do I have to leave it exposed?  

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
ekhalil
Master

Re: Satellite in a Cabinet?

If you put the satellite in a cabinet you will reduce it's fronthaul range (the coverage area where your devices can have access to the satellite wifi) as well as it's connectivity to the router if you have wireless backhaul. So you must take this into consideration.

It depends also on the material of the cabinet, a metal cabinet is much worse than a wooden one. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Another consideration is heat and air flow.  Modern electronics can take a lot of abuse, but sealed tightly inside a small cabinet is a recipe for failure.

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

Correct. Heating and air flow is important, but can be compensated with fans in the cabinet.
I have my tv boxes (blu-ray, cable tv receiver, satellite receiver, wii,....) in a cabinet and I have a temperature-controlled fan inside to overcome the heating and help with air flow in the cabinet.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7