Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite only connects with 2.4Ghz RBK 53

hollang
Tutor

Satellite only connects with 2.4Ghz RBK 53

not sure why, but my 2 orbi satellites only seem to connect to the base unit via 2.4 GHz  band and never the 5 GhZ one which I think is supposed to be faster, isn't it? any suggestions on how to address this?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The satellites use a 5Ghz back haul connection, using a 2nd 5Ghz radio to connect to the base unit. The 1st 5Ghz radio are channels 36-48. The 2nd 5Ghz radio is not user configurable and is hidden. 

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@hollang wrote:

not sure why, but my 2 orbi satellites only seem to connect to the base unit via 2.4 GHz  band and never the 5 GhZ one which I think is supposed to be faster, isn't it? any suggestions on how to address this?

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, this is unusual.  Just to check, on the Attached Devices page in the web interface, the two satellites are at the top of the screen and both say "2.4G" instead of "5G".

This is supposed to happen only when the 5G signal is not strong enough to provide effective communication.  How far are the satellites from the base unit and what is in the pathway between them?  (thick concrete walls?  a couple of regular walls of 2x4 and drywall?)

What happens if you move one of the satellites into the same room as the router?

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@hollang wrote:

1. The main wireless backhaul link uses DFS channels (Dynamic Frequency Selection). Orbi is obliged to switch to other channels if it detects radar signals on the DFS channels. If you live in an area close to an airport, military base or a weather radar you can have high level of radar signals on the DFS channels and this can happen.
  2. There are some wireless routers' vendors who do not follow the DFS regulations. You can have neighbors who use such routers and are transmitting on the same channels as your Orbi's backhaul which will force Orbi to switch to other channels.

I would suggest the following to troubleshoot this issue:

1. As suggested by @CrimpOn above, please first check the Attached Devices in the web GUI and confirm that your Satellites show Connection Type 2.4GHz and not 5 GHz
  2. Make a wifi scan to check which high 5 GHz channels (channels 100 - 140) are being used by your surrounding.
  3. There is also a telnet file that logs the radar detections. Please follow the following steps to print your radar detection logs:
    1. From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
    2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
    3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
    4. Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
    5. Enter the command:
      1. root@RBR50:~# cat /var/radardetect.log
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7