Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite placement? basement/concrete

mdirmyer
Follower

Satellite placement? basement/concrete

Hi,

We recently put an addition on to our house and there is poor wifi signal in it. The addition is off the back, the top floor is level with the our single story home (concrete slab on grade), the lower floor of the addition is a walk out basement. Currently there is no wifi signal in the basement floor and limited in the top floor of the addition. I'd like to bring wifi down to the basement. Between the top and lower floors of the addition is a thin layer of gypcrete over plywood/lumber. If I put one orbi at my router/modem from my ISP and one where I do get signal in the top floor will that bring signal to the bottom floor? Should I be looking at other solutions like extenders or powerline adaptors?

From what i've read so far I'd need to run the router/modem from ISP in bridge mode to use the orbi router. Is that correct as well?

Thanks!

Matt

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Satellite placement? basement/concrete

you would need to bridge your modem or you can run orbi as AP mode which will just use the wifi of the orbi.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Satellite placement? basement/concrete

@mdirmyer wrote:

If I put one orbi at my router/modem from my ISP and one where I do get signal in the top floor will that bring signal to the bottom floor? Should I be looking at other solutions like extenders or powerline adaptors?

From what i've read so far I'd need to run the router/modem from ISP in bridge mode to use the orbi router. Is that correct as well?

I have a three story with radient heat on all levels (so same flooring) and the Orbi Router signal penetrates pretty well through out the house (about 4500 sq ft), but putting a Satellite on each floor definitly helps me maintain the fastes internet and network speed. So I would recommend you try placing the Satellite about 20-30 feet away on another floor to get the widest benefit. I placed the third satellite high on the third floor and this definitly helps me get a signal outside the house and way down the block.

I've also found the Orbi much more stable than my ISP modem as a router which needed a reset every 2 days, so I had them place it in bridge mode. No regrets - the Orbi I find is even more stable than my previous Apple Airport and Asus RT-AC87 which needed a reboot every week.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7