Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite placement help

Jman27
Aspirant

Satellite placement help

I have a 3 story house and my RBR serves as my router and must be on the second floor at the very front of my house. Right now I have the satellite upstairs at the other end of the house. All of my devices stay connected to my router throughout my home, even when I am upstairs in the front bedroom on 5 ghz. The basement is the only place it connects to 2.4 ghz with the router. Would I be better served putting the router in my basement or on the second floor on the other side of the house from my router?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

How large is your house and what kind of construction, e.g., wood framing, concrete block?What is the current distance between the router and the satellite? What version of firmware is installed? What channels are the 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz bands set on? Do you have any nearby WiFi signals from neighbors?

Normally the best placement for the router in any home is to be centrally located with satelllite (s) opposite the center. Be certain you've placed the satellites at least 30 feet from the router and try resyncing. If you have nearby neighbors, try setting the WiFi channels to 1 for the 2.4gHz and 48 for the 5 gHz. Another thing to try is reserve IP addresses for each of your devices.

Message 2 of 4
Jman27
Aspirant

Thanks for your help! I have 3 other neighbors WiFi options in my house so I gave my 2.5 and 5 ghz their own channels like you suggested. I also read in other posts that I should turn down the power on my 2.5 ghz and I enabled fast roaming, all issues are now gone. All the devices that should be on 5ghz are and the devices requiring 2.4 ghz are on that and when I go upstairs my phone hooks up to the 5 ghz on the sat. In the front of my basement I connect to the router and in the back to the sat all the way on the 3rd floor directly above! I hope this lasts because I’m getting my full internet speed plus some everywhere in my house!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Good news and good for you! Most of the issues you read about on this website are related to interference from neaby WiFi sources (sometimes even the Sonos-type speakers cause issues). Here's a link to an article that explains the problems with WiFi interference quite nicely: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...:

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7