Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite placement question

switters
Apprentice

Satellite placement question

I'm thinking about buying an RBK50 but am doing my due dilligence first to see if it will work well for me.

Our house is approximately 5,200 sq. ft, two levels. It's wired for ethernet. There is a networking "closet" on the main floor, right in the middle of the house. That's where the switch and termination hub is that allows me to patch into the different rooms in the house. It's definitely the best place for the router. 

Upstairs, there is a closet off of the TV room. That's where all of the upstairs networking gear is. I'd like to put the satellite there, but I'm concerned that it will be too close. If you drew a straight line from where the router would be to the satellite in this upstairs closet, it's probably just a touch less than 30 ft. But there is a ceiling and a couple of walls to go through to get there. 

Another option would be to put the router in my home office, which is also on the main level, but in the front of our house. In this case, the router is still a little less than 30 ft. from the satellite in a straight line, but there are more walls to go through (in addition to a ceiling being there). 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Satellite placement question

With the upstairs satellite connected with ethernet, distance is not much of a factor.  My guess is that upstairs coverage would be better with the satellite upstairs because antenna strength is better "horizontally" than vertically for omnidirectional antennas.

A bigger concern is 2,500 sq. ft. on a single floor.  Yes, that should be well within the model 50 capabilities when the Orbi is located in the center of a square building.  However, if those 2,500 sq. ft. are in a long rectangle, there could be issues at the far end.

Of course, the only way to test this is to install the Orbi and find out.  I am not aware of any tools (free to consumers) that will produce a coverage ("heat") map just from a drawing.

Message 2 of 4
switters
Apprentice

Thanks. I am still in the process of mapping ethernet wall jacks to ports in the termination hub—I haven't yet figured out which one corresponds to the upstairs networking closet, so I may initially connect the Orbi satellite via WiFi. 

Fortunately, our house is pretty square. So I'm hoping that a router downstairs and one upstairs in roughly the same central location will be enough. If not, I can always get a satellite. 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Vendors like Amazon and Costco price the two satellite package a lot less than buying the one satellite set and adding a satellite later.
Good Luck
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7