Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite showing up as a device and not a satellite.

th3w01f
Apprentice

Satellite showing up as a device and not a satellite.

Setting up my new Orbi and while it shows that there are devices and one satellite connect, when I drill down the satellite shows with the rest of the devices and the section under satellites is blank.  I have no way that I can see to verify that the satellite is functioning properly.

Message 1 of 10
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Satellite showing up as a device and not a satellite.

Did the satellite show the synch colors for a good connection to the router and then turn off?

If that happened, then I guess you really won't know unless you get a wireless device to show up like you said on the attached devices, or better yet, hook up something with an ethernet cable to the satellite, even if its just a laptop temporarily or a nearby device like a game console, etc.

Message 2 of 10
th3w01f
Apprentice

Good point, I realized that a satellite will take an IP from the main DHCP scope (even thought it should be on a sepertate radio so I'm not sure why they need to pull from the main scope).  I never saw the color change, but watching the satallite and waiting for it isn't very user friendly.  I'm trying to find some type of conneciton status to show the quality of the satallite connection. 

Message 3 of 10
loomis1975
Luminary

If you do a ssid scanner type program, channel 157 is the backhaul communication between satellite and router. It's a "hidden network". There is also a hidden network on 2.4 Ghz that shares the same channel as your orbi ssid. Maybe its the placeholder for a guest network.
Message 4 of 10
th3w01f
Apprentice

Good to know, not sure they they don't stick the backhaul on a seperate 1918 adress but maybe that will change in the future. 

Message 5 of 10
th3w01f
Apprentice

While I was driving, support called about my initial link issue and I asked about a way to see the link quality between the router and satellite.  I was told that there was a backhaul status page that would show the link quality but I can't seem to find it.  Any ideas?

They said to go under Router -> Status -> Backhaul.... but I don't see any of that. 

Message 6 of 10
loomis1975
Luminary

I don't see any of that either, maybe its in the next firmware release that hasn't been let loose into the wild.

Message 7 of 10
btotheeck
Initiate

While I dont see a link quality per-se, I do see a backhaul statistic row in the "Show Statistics" button popup which is found on the Advanced Home page, or http://192.168.1.1/RST_statistic.htm

Look at the bottom row. I suspect the "Status" column is not really indiciative of the actual link strength, just the possible bandwidth or something along those lines.

For comparison purposes, mine says my WLAN Backhaul is 1733M.

Message 8 of 10
th3w01f
Apprentice

Good catch, I didn't even notice that.  Mine shows 1733 as well, I'll have to move it around and see if it changes. 

Message 9 of 10
dpdurst
Luminary

My Backhaul shows as well 1733, however sitting on the page and letting it refresh, it does change for the TX and RX bits sent and received. 

I also on the devices conennected page show several devices connected via the Satellite so it must be working fine. 

Would be cool if they kept a low light blue ring on or an option to leave that light on so that you know you have a connection.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7