Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite

Crossofiron
Aspirant

Satellite

Can I purchase just one addional satellite for my ORBI RBK50 increase range and improve speed?

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Satellite

Yes you can.  Any model of Orbi satellite will function with the RBR50 router.  Several are available on Amazon.  Of course, the RBS50 satellite will match the existing system, but any Orbi satelliite will function.  Please note that since Netgear has introduced an "improved" model of Orbi, there will be dramatic price drops on existing Orbi models.  Some places may sell a "package" for less than one satellite can be purchased on Amazon.  Crazy, but true.

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Crossofiron wrote:

Can I purchase just one addional satellite for my ORBI RBK50 increase range and improve speed?

Keep in mind how you use the word 'range'.  IF you're talking about on the 'other' side of the router where there is NO Sat, then perhaps, yes.  But putting another Sat inline (as in further away on the same side where you already have a Sat) from the router may not do anything to increase anything.you're hoping for.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Retired_Memberis correct.  Where the new satellite is placed affects how much "more coverage" is achieved.  One may be tempted to do some basic math:  A circle of radius 30 ft has an area of 2,827 sq. ft.  Wow!  Of course, part of that coverage may be toward the neighbor's house which means basically "wasted".  Add a satellite and get 2,827  MORE sq. ft.  NO.  A lot of the satellite "coverage" will overlap with the original router coverage, i.e. not "more".  Adding a second satellite directly in line with the existing router-satellite will potentiall add as much as the first satellite did.  However, put the new satellite off to the side, and it will overlap both the existing router and satellite.  Thus adding much less coverage than the first satellite did.  Here's a brief diagram:

Coberage.PNG

If you have an area with poor signal, adding another satellite is a good idea.  I have done so, and it helped.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can. Also EX model extenders are supported as well. EX8000 and EX7700s. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@Crossofiron wrote:

Message 5 of 6
Crossofiron
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements