Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellites: What is the difference between RBR/RBS20 and RBR/RBS50 ?

michaeltag
Aspirant

Satellites: What is the difference between RBR/RBS20 and RBR/RBS50 ?

I thought I was specifying the same exact Tri-band Router and two-satellite Orbi system for my customer that I had in my home and office and that I had installed for several other customers, but after it came I noticed that this system contained RBR20 Router and RBS20 Satellites, whereas my system has RBR50 and RBS50's

I am not getting the performance expected out this lates install. It's kind of frustrating that it's so hard to tell between the various systems! What exactly IS the difference in capability between these two. I want to know if I should exchange this or if it's not a huge deal.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Satellites: What is the difference between RBR/RBS20 and RBR/RBS50 ?

The product data sheets lay out the specifics:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBR50.pdf 

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBR20.pdf 

The RBR50 has dedicated antennas for the 5G WiFi backhaul.  Using a full 80mb bandwidth, they have a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 1733mb (which is never achieved in the real workd) whereas the RBR20 uses the same 5G antennas for both "user service" and backhaul, with a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 866mb.  If usage is extremely high, then the RBR50 has higher potential capacity because although the user radios are the same, the RBR20 5G radio is also performing backhaul.  (If the satellites are connected with ethernet cable,, then the back capacity is the same.)

The RBR50 has 3 usable ethernet ports on the router and 4 on each satellite, whereas the RBR20 has only (2 and 1).  Honestly, many people make little use of the satellite ethernet ports, and a $30 gigabit switch will enable 8 devices to share one port.

There is a memory size difference, which may be a result of Netgear discovering that the full memory of the RBR50 is never used in the real world.

Perhaps if you describe the way the new system is underperforming someone on the forum can suggest ways to improve it.

Message 2 of 4
michaeltag
Aspirant

It seems there are a couple of different ways that the three packs are designated. Beginning with RBR or AC and I think I was not clear on what I had and ended up specifying the wrong one for my client. I didn't know that some didn't have separate frequencies for backhaul That explains why I am not getting the same performance! 

Message 3 of 4
michaeltag
Aspirant

The one I have and have installed for others before has RBR50 and two RBS50  and was a breeze to set up and had rip-roaring performance whether I was able to have Ethernet connectivity or not.

This kit, surprised me with only one LAN Ethernet port on the Router and has ot performed well, and if it is doing backhaul and servicing devices on the same frequency then no wonder! 

I'm going to have to exchange return it. Plain and simple and get the same kind of kit as before.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7