Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellites add 2 ms latency

ekhalil
Master

Satellites add 2 ms latency

I see that when measuring speed while connecting to a satellite there is -almost always- additional 2ms of latency compared to when connected to the router. Is this normal?

Message 1 of 4
AC641
Luminary

Re: Satellites add 2 ms latency

What difference does it make to real-world use?

Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

@ekhalil wrote:

I see that when measuring speed while connecting to a satellite there is -almost always- additional 2ms of latency compared to when connected to the router. Is this normal?

You don't state what points you are measuring the latency between. You also don't state whether you are connecting via wired or WiFi.  However, if you connect to the Internet via the satellite you are going through the wireless backhaul.  If you add an additional wireless link (the backhaul) then  you should expect some additional delay. Two milliseconds is negligible.

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

I’m measuring latency between a device connected via wifi to a satellite and internet. I have audio issues in VoIP calls using Skype for Business, which I never had issues with before Orbi! Latency is an important factor in VoIP calls. I was measuring latency to see if it’s the issue or some other factors like packet loss. Any idea?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7