Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellites connected, devices see "full" wifi, but no internet connectivity through satellites

pmatern
Aspirant

Satellites connected, devices see "full" wifi, but no internet connectivity through satellites

Updated from a TPlink router with extender, because we got tired of having to switch wifi networks when we went to the other side of the house. 

I was given an RBR40 router with two RBW30 satellites I've connected in series.  The satellites show "green" connectivity in the app and I can take my computing devices well beyond the router range and they still show full wifi (presumably from the satellites).  However, despite seeing the wifi, there is no internet connectivity.  Every single device we connect to the system shows up under the RBR40 router.  The satellites never show a single device connected, and we can't get half the devices in our house to work now because they are out of the range of the main router.

Any suggestions for how to connect devices and access the network from the satellites?  

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Satellites connected, devices see "full" wifi, but no internet connectivity through sa

1. What firmware is on the router? 

2. firmware on the satellites? 

3. What modem are you connected to? 

4. How far from the router is the satellites? 30ft minimum is needed.

5. Have you tried resetting and re-installing the satellites? 

Message 2 of 6
pmatern
Aspirant

Re: Satellites connected, devices see "full" wifi, but no internet connectivity through sa

RBR40 Router Firmware V2.3.5.32

RBW30 Satellites Firmware V2.3.0.4

Modem: TP-Link TC-7610 

Have tried resetting and restarting the router and satellites multiple times.

The 1st satellite is just about 26 feet direct line from router but passing through a wall/ceiling (if we moved it further away it turns amber and has trouble connecting to router consistently).  The second satellite is about 30 feet direct line from next satellite passing through 2 walls.
SEE FLOORPLAN IMAGE

Both satellites show green connectivity almost all the time in the network map, but never show any devices connected to them.  Devices well beyond the range of the router appear to have full wifi signal, but there is no internet connectivity and they don't seem to connect to the satellites.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. update your firmware. all your devices firmware is out of date.  rbw30 is on 2.5.0.2.  rbr40 is on 2.5.1.16

2. what material is your home made of? 

Message 4 of 6
pmatern
Aspirant

How do I update firmware?

When I use the app to check for updates, it tells me that "Firmware is up to date" and "No new firmware is available at this time."

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7