Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellites have disappeared after auto update to 1.12.0.8

rspam11
Aspirant

Satellites have disappeared after auto update to 1.12.0.8

Hello

My  satelletites seem to have disappeqared. the main router (RBR50) admin page says iti is on  1.12.0.8

I saw an article that down grading to 1.11 may help, but  i cant reach the satellites - so how do i downgrade them first? . Can  i downgrade the router manually first?

Is there any other options?

how do i then disable auto updates?

THanks

rspam11

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
rspam11
Aspirant

Re: Satellites have disappeared after auto update to 1.12.0.8

Thank you for all the replies. I found another thread recommending a factory reset of the satellites followed by a factory reset of the main router. That seems to have addressed the issue except I had to manually redo all my configuration customizations. I sincerely hope I do not have to repeat this every time firmware is updated. It is extremely painful.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello rspam11

You can not disable auto updates. Are you able to access the satellites by going to there ip address? try typing 192.168.1.x where x= 2-10 and see if one of those ip address brings up the satellite.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
gbjackson
Apprentice

This is the same issue that has generated a 312 (and counting) comment thread relating to the firmware upgrade.  To date, I don't think it's even been acknowledged by Netgear to be an issue....

Message 3 of 6
Replevin
Star

@rspam11 wrote:

Hello

My  satelletites seem to have disappeqared. the main router (RBR50) admin page says iti is on  1.12.0.8

1.  Download old firmware for satellite and router (two files)

2.  Connect to satellite at 1.12.0.8.  If that is not the address, go to the list of connected devices and identify the ip address and use it to connect.

3.  Use the router password to log-in directly to the satellite.

4.  Update the satellite firmware to the old firmware (1.11.).

The satellite should now work.

You can also update the router to the old firmware.

There does not appear to be any way to prevent the router/satellite from auto-updating to the new firmware and breaking the satellite.

Netgear has not responded in this forum to this problem, has left the firmware on the website, and otherwise there is no fix in the works.  If you can return the product, that may be a better option given the lack of technical support and irresponsible actions by Netgear.   

Message 4 of 6
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you're having issues getting your Satellites to connect, I suggest that you bring the satellites near the Router and do the f/w upgrade.  Then, once they've upgraded, move them back to where they need to be.  

For what it's worth, I'm running 2 systems on 1.12+ at home (dog food testing) and had no such problems with Satellites disappearing.

-Orbi Product Team. 

Message 5 of 6
rspam11
Aspirant

Thank you for all the replies. I found another thread recommending a factory reset of the satellites followed by a factory reset of the main router. That seems to have addressed the issue except I had to manually redo all my configuration customizations. I sincerely hope I do not have to repeat this every time firmware is updated. It is extremely painful.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7