Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellites keep disconnecting after reboot

deltaboy
Aspirant

Satellites keep disconnecting after reboot

So far, this product has been terrible. Out of the box, everything works great. But when I change settings (mainly reserve IPs) and the system reboots, the two satellites flicker in between blue and magenta solid.

My only workaround has been to reset to factory and reconnect everything from stock.

Anyone else have poor connectivity with the RBS20 Satellites?

latest firmware installed: 2.3.5.36
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 14
deltaboy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 the modem from my ISP is the Arris XB6 (in bridge mode).

my home is 3400 sqft and 3 levels. RBR20 is in the middle of the home on the main floor, one satellite is upstairs in my office and the other is in the basement (centrally). all are about 15-25 ft away. without the satellites, my office only give me a connection rate of 63 Mbps... basement is 24 Mbps.

2.4 GHz channel is set to 11, and the 5 GHz channel is set to 36. there are plenty of others around me on wifi, but my diagnostics scan says the best channels are 11 and 36. 

Beamforming, MIMO, and WMM are enabled

Daisy-Chain, Fast Roaming, anf 20/40 coexistence are all disabled

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets try this, turn OFF one of the RBS. Leave the other one on. 15-25 feet is too close. Move the one RBS out to 30 feet. 

With just one RBS, can you see if this one RBS will turn BLUE then turn OFF instead of PINK?

Message 4 of 14
deltaboy
Aspirant

I will try this... so it’s been one hour and they are still going magenta. The thing is, with JUST the RBR20, I can barely get on the 5GHz channel and have poor connectivity at under 15 feet.

Also, streaming is an issue so I’d like to be able to hardwired first a more consistent connection.

Would playing around with the transmit power and preamble help at all??
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you may have a faulty system out of the box. You may want to return the system and get another or try a RBK50 system if thats available. 

Message 6 of 14
deltaboy
Aspirant

probably... our master bedroom is only about 11 feet from the RBR and it wont connect to 5GHz, so im stuck on 2.4GHz 1.4Mbps... only when i have the satellites on (and working!) i get full speeds.

bought this open box from Amazon and they wont replace the unit... also Netgear wont honour the warranty because the original ower had already registered it. SOL for me.

thx @FURRYe38 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya if you can't connect to 5Ghz at that range something is wrong. Hopefully a new system will work better. 

@deltaboy wrote:

probably... our master bedroom is only about 11 feet from the RBR and it wont connect to 5GHz, so im stuck on 2.4GHz 1.4Mbps... only when i have the satellites on (and working!) i get full speeds.

bought this open box from Amazon and they wont replace the unit... also Netgear wont honour the warranty because the original ower had already registered it. SOL for me.

thx @FURRYe38 

Message 8 of 14
deltaboy
Aspirant

Or it’s my house... I’ve used the following systems without success and poor speeds and connectivity:

Netgear RBK23
D-Link COVR-3902
Netgear R8000
TP-Link 2600AC
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the building materials of the home? Any old plaster and any lead paint? I have a friend whos house is older 50s style home. Appears to be some lead based paint layers. Wifi signal has had problems with Orbi and some COVR systems. Basement and walls are concrete so this doesn't help either.  The COVR 3902 seemed to work best as a trial run. 

You may want to try a 50 series Orbi as they have more power. The 20 series I tired in there home didn't work well. 

Message 10 of 14
deltaboy
Aspirant

our home was built in 2010, its not old by any means! just so many dead spots that really cripple the network

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the layout of your home? 

You might try a 50 series Orbi instead of a 20 series. 

Message 12 of 14
deltaboy
Aspirant

Open concept, 1200 sqft per level.

I may just reroute my router to the garage at one corner opposite my family room, so I can add a satellite and hardwire the AppleTV. This configuration will place the main router directly below the office too.
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure that there is 30 feet in between the RBR and RBS or approximately in that range to begin with. 

Try swapping RBS locations to see if the problem follows or not. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7