Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellites not putting out wifi signal after upgrade to v1.12.0.18?

JAYSONE
Star

Satellites not putting out wifi signal after upgrade to v1.12.0.18?

Reposting my concern in its own thread in hopes to get an answer from a netgear moderator or anyone else with a solution.

-I have one router and two satellites; RBS50's

-Firmware was updated automatically the other night. 

-Configured in router mode

The satellites are NOT showing up under "Attached Devices" as satellites...they do however, show up under connected devices. Logging into their respective status pages by way of their listed ip, I see that both of my satellites are updated to this latest version and the wireless AP are listed as OFF, 2.4ghz & 5ghz are listed as disabled.

The router itself is fine, putting out a wifi signal that I can connect to. The GUI states satellites are connected to it...how do I enable the wifi on the satellites so my devices can connect to them?

I've tried powering down everything for 30 min and turning them back on, reinstalling on one satellite, resetting the other satellite and resyncing (which briefly showed up on the GUI as a connected satellite, but on it's status page, it said not connected) , all to no avail.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

I was thinking about your issue ealier today and had a similar thought. Maybe the firmware download got corrupted somehow.  It occurred to me that  the router normally downloads the firmware and pushes it out to the satellites.  So, maybe the router could propagate the problem even if you updated the satellites manually. I was going to suggest you might want to manually update the firmware on the router also.  I think you had the same idea.

You can log into the router gui and do a manual firmware update from there. As I'm sure you know, there are different firmware loads for the router and the satellite.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

I would try the following (sounds like you tried most already though):

1. Go to each satellite GUI and manually re-load the firmware update.  You'll need to download the firmware to your computer first.

2. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd reset the router and each satellite, starting with the router. Reset the router, but don't add the sats.  Turn the router off. Then reset the sats. Then do the install from scratch.  To reset, put a paperclip in the reset hole on the satellite and hold it down for 30 seconds or so. The power LED needs to blink amber or it's not resetting.

Message 2 of 6
JAYSONE
Star

Thanks for the suggestions. Followed them as instructed and reset the router, etc.

Seems as if I am halfway there now. One satellite is now successfully broadcasting the signal and back online. After a second attempt at syncing, the second satellite however is broadcasting the 2.4ghz signal but not the 5ghz signal. I am pretty confident I am within range to pick up this band from the router as indicated with the blue ring while syncing as well as the fact it is in the same location it was without issue prior to the update.

One thing I did notice as I was going through the process was that the "second" satellite (after the initial sync) 2.4ghz channel was not on the same channel as the the other (working) satellite and router; 5ghz showed no channel listed.

A subsequent reboot of the router, caused BOTH satellites to stop broadcasting the wifi signals and put me back to square one. Resetting the satellites again put me where I am now, with one satellite broadcasting both ghz, the other only broadcasting the 2.4ghz channel.

Maybe my issues are due to a glitch in the router firmware when it auto-updated or a bug in the firmware itself? I was thinking I should try to manually update the router firmware again to rule out my first suspicion...? 

How would I go about doing that? Would I have to rollback the firmware to an old version and THEN proceed to manually install the latest ...18 version? Since I believe I can't do it the same way I manually updated the satellites since the main GUI will tell me I already have the latest version installed.

Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

I was thinking about your issue ealier today and had a similar thought. Maybe the firmware download got corrupted somehow.  It occurred to me that  the router normally downloads the firmware and pushes it out to the satellites.  So, maybe the router could propagate the problem even if you updated the satellites manually. I was going to suggest you might want to manually update the firmware on the router also.  I think you had the same idea.

You can log into the router gui and do a manual firmware update from there. As I'm sure you know, there are different firmware loads for the router and the satellite.

Message 4 of 6
JAYSONE
Star

That did the trick! 

The downloaded firmware had to be corrupted and the reason for my issues. Manually updating the firmware fixed the problem and both satellites are now successfully broadcasting both the 2.4ghz & 5ghz.

To reiterate and help anyone else having the same issue as I did. Download the router firmware and manually reinstall it.

Now hopefully this new firmware fixes all the other annoyances for myself and everyone else.

Thank you very much for the help and assisting me getting this situation solved, appreciate you!

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@JAYSONE Awesome!  I hope everything stays working well for you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7