Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellites won't display device name after update to FW 2.5.1.8.

tucsontico
Virtuoso

Satellites won't display device name after update to FW 2.5.1.8.

Had a power outage which required me to reset all my IOT devices, etc. Decided it would be good time to update FW to 2.5.18 from 2.3.5.30. Went smoothly without factory reset. Good speeds and connections. However, both satellites now show "Unknown" in device name column. Not a big deal, since I have IP address reservations for all my 30+ devices. Wanted to see if there is an easier fix than a factory reset and a manual system reconfigure?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Not using a separated SSID name are you?

Happen in a different browser? 

Diasy Chain enabled or disabled? 

You may need a factory reset. Some don't, some do. 

Message 2 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@tucsontico wrote:

Had a power outage which required me to reset all my IOT devices, etc. Decided it would be good time to update FW to 2.5.18 from 2.3.5.30. Went smoothly without factory reset. Good speeds and connections. However, both satellites now show "Unknown" in device name column.

It has been some time, but I seem to recall having the same experience, "Oh, no.  I killed it."  Then after a while the device names appeared.  It could be that the router and satellite take some time to sync device information.  Before I did anything drastic (and time-consuming), I would go for a walk.

Message 3 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Not using a separated SSID name are you?

1) Never used a separate SSID. 

Happen in a different browser? 

2) Yep. Happens in Safari, Chrome & Firefox

Diasy Chain enabled or disabled? 

3) Daisy Chain is enabled due to my setup. 2nd satellite is in attached garage requiring daisy chain.

Message 4 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Did the upgrade three days ago. I've learned over the years I've used the ORBI to allow significant "settling time" before rushing to change anything.

As I said it isn't big deal but I may resort to factory reset. If I only did satellites would that cause more issues?

Message 5 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

A factory reset on satellite only is about the least disruptive thing you can do.  Nothing changes on the router, so there is no reconfiguration to do.

Message 6 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I may do a satellite factory reset when I have some time to turn off the 20+ devices attached to the satellites. Bit of a PITA, but I do it every time I upgrade firmware. Seems to keep the system stable and devices pretty much stay attached to the "correct" satellite.

Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@tucsontico wrote:

I may do a satellite factory reset when I have some time to turn off the 20+ devices attached to the satellites. Bit of a PITA, but I do it every time I upgrade firmware.

I would be tempted to do the reset and see which devices "connect incorrectly" rather than power all of them off.

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if a reset helps. Even if after giving time. 

Message 9 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I'll attempt that today. Seems logical to try a satellite factory reset without power cycling my devices to see if they'll conncet correctly to the physically nearest satellite. If they do not, I can power cycle the devices to get correct connections. Thanks!

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 11 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Got overcome by events yesterday. Will attempt satellite factory reset today. Standby for news.

Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I hear ya, me too. Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Finally got around to doing a factoryreset of my 2 satellites. (Sorry for the 1+ month delay!) After doing the reset and re-sync, they still show "Unknown" in the attached devices name column. The IP addresses are there and correct but the actual names I've designated are not.

The router shows all the devices correctly named and IP addresses as assigned. All the throughput is fine (400+ Mbps via WiFi) and low latency so I'm not too concerned about the naming issue. I'll wait until the next firmware iteration to see if it is fixed then. Otherwise, it i business as usual.

Thnaks for your suggestions!

Message 14 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tucsontico wrote:

Finally got around to doing a factoryreset of my 2 satellites. (Sorry for the 1+ month delay!) After doing the reset and re-sync, they still show "Unknown" in the attached devices name column. The IP addresses are there and correct but the actual names I've designated are not.

The router shows all the devices correctly named and IP addresses as assigned. All the throughput is fine (400+ Mbps via WiFi) and low latency so I'm not too concerned about the naming issue. I'll wait until the next firmware iteration to see if it is fixed then. Otherwise, it i business as usual.

I missed the part about where you're seeing the Unknown" in the attached devices name column.  App?  web broswer?

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

For the unknows, can you manually input a name and save the setting and does this keep the new name setting? 

@tucsontico wrote:

Message 16 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

The iOS app does show the names of the devices attached to each satellite. However, I normally use the Netgear built-in GUI via the Safari web browser on my iMac to monitor/control my ORBI system.

There is no way to name/rename devices on the satellite GUI. The devices are displayed fine when I login to the router but come up as unknown on the satellite GUI. (See the attached screenshot.)

Again, this isn't a big deal as the system is working fine in my environment. It is just an annoyance that Netgear keeps stumbling over themselves when doing firmware "updates".

Thanks for your help!

Message 17 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tucsontico wrote:

Again, this isn't a big deal as the system is working fine in my environment. It is just an annoyance that Netgear keeps stumbling over themselves when doing firmware "updates".

Thanks for your help!

The annoyance is less evident if you choose NOT to update your FW manually

Message 18 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you can only re-name devices on the RBR. 

"I normally use the Netgear built-in GUI via the Safari web browser on my iMac to monitor/control my ORBI system." Does Firefox or Opera for Mac show same thing? 

@tucsontico wrote:

The iOS app does show the names of the devices attached to each satellite. However, I normally use the Netgear built-in GUI via the Safari web browser on my iMac to monitor/control my ORBI system.

There is no way to name/rename devices on the satellite GUI. The devices are displayed fine when I login to the router but come up as unknown on the satellite GUI. (See the attached screenshot.)

Thanks for your help!

Message 19 of 24
tucsontico
Virtuoso

FURRYe38: Chrome, Firefox, and Opera for Mac show exactly the same thing for the satellite attached devices.

VAJim: Agree!

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was checking. 

Hope next update will be better for you. 

@tucsontico wrote:

FURRYe38: Chrome, Firefox, and Opera for Mac show exactly the same thing for the satellite attached devices.

Message 21 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, was checking. 

Hope next update will be better for you. 

@tucsontico wrote:

It should be....for I hope he waits on the AUTO update.

Message 22 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

You are correct. Just checked my RBS with Safari, all UNKNOWN for device names. RBR displays the devices correctly. 
Something to let NG know about.

@Blanca_O 

@tucsontico wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Message 23 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@tucsontico wrote:

The Android app also shows the correct name and type for devices connected to the satellite, but this is because the app is getting information from the router, not the satellite.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7