Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellte LAN ports not working?

GWNewman1
Initiate

Satellte LAN ports not working?

I've got my router in the basement and the satellite above it on the main level to cover the 3rd floor. Satellite is connected with devices attached, but when I plug anything into the LAN ports, they don't get an IP. I requested a replacement kit from Amazon and got the new one set up, tested the LAN ports with the satellite 2 feet from the router once I got the router/satellite configured and the firmware updated on both to 1.4.0.18. Worked fine. Moved the satellte up to the middle floor, got it connected, devices attached through wifi...LAN ports not working again. My Arlo base station showed up on the wired list, but the Xbox One S and the blu-ray player won't connect via LAN. Did a bit of looking around and doesn't seem like anyone else has had the issue?

I figure it's either software at this point since it's 2 different kits or I've got something configured wrong.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
JoeDiver
Aspirant

Same problem. I had Comcast on the phone today thinking it had something to do with a conflict in my Comcast Modem. No luck here either

Message 2 of 8
twocybers
Star

I had that same initial situation.  I rebooted the Router and then I could use the satellites as Access Points.  Maybe I rebooted the Satellites - frankly I don't remember.

Message 3 of 8
qskillzwfu25
Tutor

Experiencing the same as you on most recent firmware.  I have to unplug the ethernet cord from the device I'm trying to connect and then plug it back in for it to recieve an ip/internet access through the Orbi Satellite I have positioned down stairs.  It's a pain to have to continuously unplug and plug back in for each device.  Hope new firmware addresses the issue. 

Message 4 of 8
twocybers
Star

Just to be clear -  I have only rebooted things one time to keep the Access Point working.  I know I rebooted the base station or router.  As I said previously, I may have rebooted the satillites.  

Message 5 of 8
GWNewman1
Initiate

Weird. I've definitely rebooted both satellite and router multiple times. This is the replacement kit too - I've had the same problem on both. The last kit had issues keeping the satellite connected, even with it maybe 30 feet away total  (router on the first floor, satellite is almost right on top of it on the 2nd floor). 

I'm wondering if it's a firmware thing. I can connect the XB One S via wifi to the satellite, same with the BR player. None of 'em work on the wired. Oddly enough, the Arlo base station I had connected via wire worked. Other devices are connecting to the satellite fine via Wifi as well. 

Message 6 of 8
twocybers
Star

I do not know what is going on.  That said here are some things to consider -

#1  You mentioned Firmware, I did update mine (took two updates) and my version is  1.4.0.18 - same version on all Orbi parts.

#2  There is a large and detailed manual.  It can be downloaded here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

#3  I do not know what the "XB One S" or "BR player" are and I don't see how it matters.  The point is you are seeing issues keeping devices connected via the satellite's wired ports.   If I understand your posts correctly,  this is the second set of hardware on which you have had issues.

That suggests to me you are very unlucky or the problem relates to something other than the Orbi.  If I experienced this, I would perform some tests to see if the satellite can keep connected to another item - something basic like another computer.  After that test, I would repeat the connectivity testing on a base station's port. 

Message 7 of 8
Hydro130
Luminary

FWIW, I have my Hue Bridge and SmartThings Hub both plugged into the LAN ports on my satellite (I have just one sat).  The whole setup has worked very smoothly from the start.

I haven't made any configuration or setup tweaks to Orbi's deault settings.  The Orbi router is my primary router - it is not in bridge or AP mode.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7