Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satillite Light

DaruP
Follower

Satillite Light

Does the Orbi Satillite light pulse like the router when its connected? How do I know the satillite is operating? My nexus tablet doesnt get full bars and the satellite is in the same room. Im wondering if the satellite is working
Message 1 of 4
RonV42
Luminary

Re: Satillite Light

The Orbi's status lights from my understanding should be off if everything is ok.  I have 2 satillites along with the router and their lights are all off.  Hopping from router to satillite is under control of the device.  Depending on your device it may grab onto one and not release it.  Most modern devices uses some type of RSSI algorithm to determin to hop to another access point.

I have one phone that refuces to release from the main router if I move from one room to another but my laptop and other devices seem to do this much better.

Message 2 of 4
Miles267
Apprentice

I was under the impression Orbi's Mesh capabilities would manage the client connection by passing the client device off from main unit to satellite. Is that not the case?
Message 3 of 4
RonV42
Luminary

The  handoff of most consumer grade mesh systems is the responsiblity of the client on the device attaching.  You may be thinking a about the 802.11r standard which is used by Voip for BSS handoff to keep voice calls moving like they do on cell towers.  I am not aware of any low cost product used for residental have this protocol.  Currently RSSI signal is what most phones, laptops, and other devices use to determine which AP they connect to.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7