Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sattelite Remote issues--Orbi RBK12 main Unit (from label on box) RBR10 (bottom of main unit)

Jkb24
Tutor

Sattelite Remote issues--Orbi RBK12 main Unit (from label on box) RBR10 (bottom of main unit)

I have had this unit for a few years and it has worked quite well.  Recently I noticed that WiFi connection speed test, using OKLA Speed Test app on my phone, showed much poorer performance when connected to the satellite than when connected to the main ORBI unit. I have not moved the satellite or base unit since installation.  The connection speed test is 320Mb/sec when connected to the main unit and 140Mb/sec when connected to the satellite unit.  They were originally identical.  I Have reset the satellite unit and the base unit rendering no change. I move the satellite up stairs just down the hall from the main unit with my phone held closely to the satellite unit to be sure that I was being served from the satellite unit, same issue.

The number given on the bottom of the main ORBI unit is RBR10 but box label says RBK12 perhaps the number of the mesh system as packaged.

Suggestions please....

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Sattelite Remote issues--Orbi RBK12 main Unit (from label on box) RBR10 (bottom of main unit)

@Jkb24 wrote:

The number given on the bottom of the main ORBI unit is RBR10 but box label says RBK12 perhaps the number of the mesh system as packaged.

This is correct.  RBK indicates a Kit, RBR a Router, and RBS a satellite.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Sattelite Remote issues--Orbi RBK12 main Unit (from label on box) RBR10 (bottom of main unit)

@Jkb24 wrote:

I move the satellite up stairs just down the hall from the main unit with my phone held closely to the satellite unit to be sure that I was being served from the satellite unit, same issue.

Wish it was as easy as this.  The only way to know for certain where the device is connected is to see what the Orbi router reports:

• On the Orbi 'app' Connected Devices listing, or
  • On the Orbi web browser interface, Attached Devices page.
    (Note that when devices change connections, it may be more than five minutes before the router updates its status report.)

The '10' series product uses the same set of 5G radios for both user facing traffic and communication between router and satellite.

Could anything else have changed over time in terms of number of devices on the 5G network or nearby neighbors with WiFi system?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7