Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Secure Network

SamGreen
Aspirant

Secure Network

While connected to the Orbi network, every website I try to go to and even on my cell phone, tells me it cannot connect do to the network not being secure. Whenever I disconnect from the Orbi network and then connect to my network on my home router everything is fine. This has been happening from day 1. This makes the Orbi useless and will be returned asap if this is normal.

Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

If your connected to the Orbi system and have WPA2 and AES enabled then your connection to the Orbi IS secure. 

What sites are you visiting? Some sites may not be using HTTPS://Address vs HTTP:// which causes some browser to report the site as not being secure. This would be a web site issue, not a Orbi or device problem. 

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@SamGreen wrote:

While connected to the Orbi network, every website I try to go to and even on my cell phone, tells me it cannot connect do to the network not being secure.

Could you please indicate whether Bitdefender Armor and/or Disney Circle were activated when you installed the Orbi?

Message 3 of 22
SamGreen
Aspirant

Every website says it unsecure, the only website I can go to is Google, but can't go to anything on Google. No website works when connect via Orbi, but everything is fine when connected via home network.

Message 4 of 22
SamGreen
Aspirant

I'm confused on why you're asking about Disney

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So is Orbi on your home network do you have a differnt wifi system at home along with Orbi? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you have Armor or Disney Circle feature apps enabled on Orbi? 

Message 6 of 22
SamGreen
Aspirant

I already had my home network. I added Orbi because I couldn't get a stronge enough signal upstairs and I was told Orbi would solve this. However the Orbi is useless becaause I can't connect to any website because it says the connection is not secure. Therefore, I have to disconnect from Orbi every time and connect to my original network.

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So please answer the following:

What Orbi model system do you have? 

Do you have Armor or Disney Circle feature apps enabled on Orbi? 

How is Orbi connected to your home system? 

What is your home network system comprised of? 

Message 8 of 22
SamGreen
Aspirant

Home network is connected via internet supplied Netgear N300 WIFI Cable Modem Router Model C3000

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a modem with built in router and wifi. Is this modem using the router and wifi or is the modem in modem only mode? 

What Orbi model system do you have? 

Message 10 of 22
NirmalM
Aspirant

Hi Sam, I just picked up an Orbi with 2 satellites, RBR50v2. I struggled with the same problem for 4 hours before I gave up and removed the Orbi and replugged in my old Nighthawk, after which all devices worked fine. 

Were you able to find the cause of the problem? or did you return your Orbi? 

Would be great if you could let me know, thanks in advance. 

@SamGreen wrote:

While connected to the Orbi network, every website I try to go to and even on my cell phone, tells me it cannot connect do to the network not being secure. Whenever I disconnect from the Orbi network and then connect to my network on my home router everything is fine. This has been happening from day 1. This makes the Orbi useless and will be returned asap if this is normal.

Message 11 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

If you are using an ISP modem router, in router mode, and are having issues, reboot the router and try setting up again, using the Orbi app. When the Orbi is setting up, choose Access Point, as your router is distributing IP addresses. Or, disable the router and WIFI functions in the Nighthawk router and configure the Orbi router for router mode. The important step, that most people ignore, is rebooting the ISP or existing router.

Depending on what service you have (ISP modem or ONT), you can remove the secondary router and use the Orbi as the main router, plugged into the ONT or ISP modem.

I know no one wants to hear this, but problems with the Orbi systems are caused maybe 10% of the time by the Orbi and the rest of the time by, not just limited to, the following:

Purchased used Orbi and did not factory reset

Did not reboot ISP modem

Did not disconnect devices

bad switch

bad cabling

radio interference

misconfiguration

and the biggest, novice not understanding how to set up the system. 

90% of the time an orbi system successfully installs, when the user follows the Orbi app instructions verbatim. 

Here are the steps we basically use for a successful install:

reboot ISP modem

If router unplug all other LAN devices, switches and cables  from the ISP modem/router

plug the orbi router into the ISP modem

Only turn on the Orbi router, (factory reset, if used or not sure)

Use the Orbi app and follow the setup instructions

Once Orbi router is successfully installed, turn on satellites, one at a time in the same room as the orbi router, and follow app instructions for installing the satellite

Once satellite is installed, configure the rest of the satellites, one at a time, the same way.

Once all satellites are configured, move them to your desired location.

Now you are ready to plug in your wired devices and setup your Wireless devices.

Forget networks on each wireless device, before logging into the Orbi WIFI.

I 90% guarantee if you follow this verbatim, you will have a successful install. I know this as we install most brands mesh systems, on a regular basis, and they all have the same user error problems.

We choose Orbi because of the features, quality, speed and EASE of install, setup and use. No I'm not affiliated with Netgear.

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@SamGreen wrote:

Home network is connected via internet supplied Netgear N300 WIFI Cable Modem Router Model C3000

Message 13 of 22
NirmalM
Aspirant

Thanks for the very detailed answer. I need just a little bit more help before I try. I have a fiber internet connection which (I guess) is ONT. I do not have an ISP modem in my apartment, just the internet cable coming from a box on the terrace which supplies several apartments. So I wouldn't know how to reboot the modem as I don't have access to this unit and it is managed remotely by the ISP.
Any suggestions?
Secondly this is a new modem (not preused) that comes out of the box - should I still try a reset? The rest of the instructions can be followed. I tried to use the app but kept getting a try again message, after which I set it up manually (not much to enter actually) and had exactly the same settings as the previous nighthawk - which was working perfectly (hence the confusion). I am not an expert but not a novice either. With the manual configuration the internet was working fine, as were the satellite but all browsers show a not secure error and the other devices will not connect.

Thanks in advance.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

Since an ONT will deliver 1 IP address unless a group of IP addresses were purchased by the apartment complex, more than likely the box you are referring to is either a smart switch or router. You can either install the Orbi as a router and it will pull an IP address from the "Box" create it's own DHCP server for your system. If you setup as an Access Point, you will be on the apartment's network, able to see whatever is also connected to that network. So in case I suggest the router setup.

Message 15 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with @Mstrbig that this sounds very much like the apartment building has one internet feed which is shared with multiple units.

This will be confirmed when the Orbi is set up. Look at the internet (WAN) IP address.  If it is a "private" address, then you are connected to a router that is furnishing internet to more than one unit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 

This might be a good time to become aware that some internet applications will fail in this situation, which is called a "Double NAT".  A Google search will turn up specifics, such as Netgear mentions in this article: https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Note that because you have no access to that device, you have no means of eliminating the effects of the Double NAT.  Putting the Orbi into access point (AP) mode will accomplish nothing because you cannot alter the building router.

So, internet gaming, VPN access to your apartment remotely, hosting a server (port forwarding), etc. are not possible.

The "good news" is that you may have no interest in doing any of those things and will never notice a problem.  You will just be aware so when the grandkids come over and whine, "My XBox game won't play right," you can say, "Time to go outside and play catch."

Message 16 of 22
NirmalM
Aspirant

Thanks MrBig, 

My son has online classes so the first attempt I can make will be Sunday. I saw some solution here which indicates to switch to router mode for the Orbi, which will be my very first try to see if it will work, just as you suggested. 

I am still waiting for a response from Netgear support and if something comes in the meanwhile will post it here. 

Will update the situation by Sunday evening or Monday, hopefully using a combination of various tricks I will be able to solve this issue. IF you don't mind, could you advise whether a factory reset is in order?

Also, do you recommend to change the default SSID / password combination to what I had for my previous Nighthawk Router, or is it easier to start a new SSID and reconfigure all my devices....

Once again, thanks for your support. 

Regards, 

Milind

Message 17 of 22
NirmalM
Aspirant

In this case it would be the teenager with his PS4 :D. 

Looking at your post, I seem to be shifting towards the possibility of having to buy another ISP line, which I might do if all else fails, but obviously want to avoid getting one more line where I have the modem in my premises due to a double cost, and (currently) absolutely no need for two connections. 

Regards and thanks. 

M

Message 18 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@NirmalM wrote:

Also, do you recommend to change the default SSID / password combination to what I had for my previous Nighthawk Router, or is it easier to start a new SSID and reconfigure all my devices....

Every time I replace my WiFi router I give the new one exactly the same SSID/password as the one that is being replaced:

• This means that all of my devices will connect automatically without having to be reconfigured, and
  • If I decide "this was a mistake.  I want to go back", all I have to do is swap the old WiFi system back in and all devices will connect to it automatically.
Message 19 of 22
NirmalM
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 20 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

You can use the same SSID as you had on your router. However yo may find you still have to forget the network on the devices and relogin to WIFI.

Message 21 of 22
NirmalM
Aspirant

Hi folks, 

Thanks for all the support so far. 

On Saturday I decided to take the challenge to start from scratch all over again and see what I could do in terms of following all the advice and tips given so far. 

I disconnected the Nighthawk Router I had temporarily replaced. 

I connected Orbi.

I logged in to the Orbi (routerlogin.net)

The Orbi asked me for my username, password (correctly inserted) and the personal questions for password retrieval. It asked me thrice, I repeated this process thrice. 

Then I had to change the option to "ISP requires a login" and enter my ISP given username and password. (I ad done this also on my previous attempt)

I did that.

after that I had a red triangle (security error) in my chrome browser. I right clicked on this, checked my security settings in chrome, but there was nothing to change, so I went back to the router window. 

After that, everything worked perfectly. all my devices, computers, browsers on every computer worked just fine without forgetting the network or changing SSID etc.

Still don't know how or why. 

Thanks to all those who helped. 

Regards, 

Milind

P.S. I had also contacted Netgear support, they asked me to update the firmware, which I have not done as yet.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7