Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Security Concern with NETGEAR wanting Remote Access to my Router

Robnight
Aspirant

Security Concern with NETGEAR wanting Remote Access to my Router

I have a security concern.  Why would the NETGEAR Skill require access to the following:  Remote Access to my router and My data when I am offline.  I am trying to connect the Orbi RBK50 to Amazon Echo.  Can’t the router talk directly to Amazon Echo since they are both on the same network?  Thank you.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
Smarbury
Initiate

Re: Security Concern with NETGEAR wanting Remote Access to my Router

Alexa service requires to send user’s voice command to their own cloud and translate to text. Then this text command can be analyzed and map to specific skill.

NETGEAR creates skill service in Alexa cloud to receive the commands and send to NETGEAR cloud.

Based on the received command and user’s account, NETGEAR cloud can reach out to user’s device and manage it accordingly.

This is how NETGEAR Alexa skill works.

Message 2 of 4
rhester72
Virtuoso

Every -other- Alexa-enabled device on my network (including multiple Nests and WeMo devices) don't require remote access of that fashion - they make a specific, targeted outbound connection and use that to receive push notifications from the REST server in.

Orbi's method seems to come from the 2000's era of network computing, before people realized what a bad idea it is to have such a large attack service.

Sorry OP, wasn't trying to derail your conversation, but this has been bothering me as well.  Apparently I can't use the Alexa skills at all in AP mode, for exactly that reason - as Orbi isn't the router, it can't open the firewall...which is a GOOD thing, because the whole design is terrible anyway.

I do dearly wish Netgear would hire some actual security-minded folks (ditto Samsung) and be willing to craft a new OS core, rather than adding wireless backhaul to what is otherwise a Nighthawk in disguise, running the same internal system design they have for about 8 years.  A LOT has changed in that time, particularly concerning security best practices.

Rodney

Message 3 of 4
Robnight
Aspirant

Thank you Rodney, I thought I was the only one out there with this security concern.  I know I can't block everything but would like to try as best I can and not open the door.  So far I like the Orbi but will just have to login to allow guest wifi when needed.  🙂  

Rob 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7