Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seeking recommendations on getting wifi coverage for a concrete building

paperbag
Tutor

Seeking recommendations on getting wifi coverage for a concrete building

I have a friend who has a concrete building with 4 floors and total space of 8000 sq ft.  I think each floor take up 2000 sq ft.  I am not sure if the wifi signal from the RBK753 Orbi System will go pass the concrete walls or not.  I don't want him to spend $600 and then find out it doesn't work.  What would you recommend to get wifi coverage in a 8000 sq ft building with 4 floors?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Seeking recommendations on getting wifi coverage for a concrete building

@paperbag wrote:

I have a friend who has a concrete building with 4 floors and total space of 8000 sq ft.  I think each floor take up 2000 sq ft.  I am not sure if the wifi signal from the RBK753 Orbi System will go pass the concrete walls or not.  I don't want him to spend $600 and then find out it doesn't work.  What would you recommend to get wifi coverage in a 8000 sq ft building with 4 floors?  Thanks.

When we install these systems in large multi floor buildings, we hardwire the satellites. This way you eliminate the issues that may arise when there are thick concrete walls and ceilings, like in an office building or warehouse. In order to get good coverage in an 8000 sq ft building, you would need additional satellites. If you hardwire the satellites you may get away with 1 additional satellite, but it will depend on the layout of the building.

Message 2 of 4
paperbag
Tutor

Thank you for the recommendation.  I need to ask him if he has ethernet ports on every floor.

Message 3 of 4

@paperbag wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation.  I need to ask him if he has ethernet ports on every floor.

Failing that, one option to consider is Powerline Ethernet to use the mains circuit as an Ethernet substitute. However, that is designed for small domestic premises that don't have complicated mains circuits.

The building you describe may be beyond the technology. Indeed, it sounds to me like you need something more like a business system than domestic equipment.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7