Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Selecting higher channels via Telnet

dan801
Apprentice

Selecting higher channels via Telnet

I understand the GUI only allows lower 5ghz channels. I also believe the higher channels 149 etc is used as a backhaul channel. Has anyone figured out a way to force a higher channel via Telnet similar to seperating the SSID. My apartment is so congested with 36-48 channels its not funny.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

ladda ned.png

I'm reusing a diagram that was earlier posted by @st_shaw.

According to regulations in almost all countries, the DFS channels (52-144) are not allowed to be manually selected. The router that uses these channels is obliged to switch to another channel if a radar signal is discovered. Orbi is using those channels (plus 149-161 outside Europe) for the backhaul and is switching between the channels when radar signals are detected.

Before Orbi I used to have Apple Airport Extreme and Time Capsule, where only channels 36-48 are open for manual selection. When I set the channel to automatic then the router will select one of the high channels but usually switches down to channels 36-48 after max a day or two.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you are in a congested building, try lowering the power of the Orbi from 100% to 50%. This will help make your broadcast foot print smaller and maybe less proan to neighboring wifi interferences: Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless settings. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. Might try using the Orbi router alone with out a satellite and see how it works. 

@dan801 wrote:
I understand the GUI only allows lower 5ghz channels. I also believe the higher channels 149 etc is used as a backhaul channel. Has anyone figured out a way to force a higher channel via Telnet similar to seperating the SSID. My apartment is so congested with 36-48 channels its not funny.

Message 3 of 6
NuOrbi
Aspirant

Only 30 ft. between the main/router and satellite(s)? That's only 10 yards (10 paces), seems to be an extraordinarily short distance, defeating the whole purpose of having a mesh network for better coverage. Wouldn't any wifi router/AP/extender worth its salt be capable of covering a distance of 10 yards? 

Message 4 of 6
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

You are right that you don't really need the Orbi sets if it's less than 30sqft of coverage.  I believe 30sqft refers to the min range and not max range.  If it's less than 30ft without concrete walls in between, you don't need the Satellite.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned "30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials." You can go farther out if you have that option. Seen others post 50" and beyond with there systems. 

@NuOrbi wrote:

Only 30 ft. between the main/router and satellite(s)? That's only 10 yards (10 paces), seems to be an extraordinarily short distance, defeating the whole purpose of having a mesh network for better coverage. Wouldn't any wifi router/AP/extender worth its salt be capable of covering a distance of 10 yards? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7