Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Selecting higher channels via Telnet

a-brittis
Star

Selecting higher channels via Telnet

Referencing closed post by @dan801 who asked the question:  

I understand the GUI only allows lower 5ghz channels. I also believe the higher channels 149 etc is used as a backhaul channel. Has anyone figured out a way to force a higher channel via Telnet similar to seperating the SSID. My apartment is so congested with 36-48 channels its not funny.

Original Post:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Selecting-higher-channels-via-Telnet/td-p/1685965

I was poking around with the config, and found that this may work.  I've tested it for a short while, but then reverted back to channel 48.  It would be interesting if others test this and report back here.

I did notice that there was some code in the wifison-monitor.sh script that contains some logic regarding DFS channels.  This is the same script that monitors the ssids of 2.4 and 5 GHz channels and changes them back to be the same.  You may need to disable the monitor for this to work as well.  Also, I don't know if the DLS channels work well with the Orbi or not.  Basically, this is untested.  All I can verify is that it does actually changes the Orbi router to use the new channel.  Try at your own risk and post your stories back here.  You might want to make sure you can still access via 2.4 Ghz or ethernet in the case that the 5Ghz channel breaks.

// Enable telnet access on your router

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
check the box to enable telnet

// telnet to your router

telnet 192.168.1.1

// these commands will show your current 5Ghz channel
config get wla_hidden_channel

config get wla_channel

// set new channel
config set wla_hidden_channel=64

config set wla_channel=64

// I'm not sure if the monitor should be disabled or not.  To disable the monitor, use the following command
config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

// commit changes
config commit

// reboot 
reboot

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this persist passed a reboot? 

@a-brittis wrote:

Referencing closed post by @dan801 who asked the question:  

I understand the GUI only allows lower 5ghz channels. I also believe the higher channels 149 etc is used as a backhaul channel. Has anyone figured out a way to force a higher channel via Telnet similar to seperating the SSID. My apartment is so congested with 36-48 channels its not funny.

Original Post:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Selecting-higher-channels-via-Telnet/td-p/1685965

I was poking around with the config, and found that this may work.  I've tested it for a short while, but then reverted back to channel 48.  It would be interesting if others test this and report back here.

I did notice that there was some code in the wifison-monitor.sh script that contains some logic regarding DFS channels.  This is the same script that monitors the ssids of 2.4 and 5 GHz channels and changes them back to be the same.  You may need to disable the monitor for this to work as well.  Also, I don't know if the DLS channels work well with the Orbi or not.  Basically, this is untested.  All I can verify is that it does actually changes the Orbi router to use the new channel.  Try at your own risk and post your stories back here.  You might want to make sure you can still access via 2.4 Ghz or ethernet in the case that the 5Ghz channel breaks.

// Enable telnet access on your router

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
check the box to enable telnet

// telnet to your router

telnet 192.168.1.1

// these commands will show your current 5Ghz channel
config get wla_hidden_channel

config get wla_channel

// set new channel
config set wla_hidden_channel=64

config set wla_channel=64

// I'm not sure if the monitor should be disabled or not.  To disable the monitor, use the following command
config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

// commit changes
config commit

// reboot 
reboot

Message 2 of 5
Arelav
Aspirant

Oh man, thanks a lot.
Because I was disappointed with slower WiFi than provider's router.
The only reason I decided to keep Orbi it's much more stable.
And with yourh help I was able to choose another wifi channel and speed is phantastic!

Message 3 of 5
a-brittis
Star

It persisted after the first reboot.  I didn't test subsequent reboots.  I'm currently running my Orbi on one of the supported channels via the web UI, since I also have a NightHawk 4x router that supports the higher channels.  I'm inviting users here to post the success (or lack of success) stories with the change.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does this persist passed a reboot? 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos