Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz- Orbi RBR50

Airic04
Initiate

Separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz- Orbi RBR50

Hi Community,

I have an Orbi RBR50 and Satellite. I recently bought a new appliance that is WIFI compatible but only with 2.4GHz wifi. I went into my advanced settings on my Orbi router and made sure that both 2.4 and 5GHz were checked and active. I tried going through the app of the appliance to connect it to my wifi network but it was unsuccessful. I am not sure how to make it connect to my wifi which only has "one" SSID name even though it's supposed to be both 2.4 and 5GHz. Is there a way to make a 2.4GHz network separately? Any advice would be great, thank you!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi is designed only to run on a single SSID between 2.4 and 5Ghz.

If the device is only compatible with 2.4Ghz, then it won't try to connect to 5Ghz.

Try setting the Orbi security mode to disable temporarily. Then see if the device will connect. Then set WPA and TPIK on the Orbi router. Then again try the device. Then try WPA2 and AES for the best security measure. See if the device connects.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

What firmware version is loaded on the Orbi?

What is this appliance device? Mfr and model?

Message 2 of 8
Airic04
Initiate

Hi FURRYe38, thank you very much for responding. Unfortunately, I have tried all your suggestions and so far I cannot get it to connect.

I bought a Whirpool Cabrio Smart Washer and Dryer. I downloaded the Whirpool app, and it auto-detects my iPhone's WIFI network (so there is no dropdown or list to choose from within the app) and asks for my WIFI password. It tries to connect the washer or dryer to my WIFI but I get an error message that it cannot connect to the router.

My firmware on my Orbi is: Router Firmware Version V2.2.1.210.

The Whirpool:

Cabrio Washer Model# is: WTW8700EC and the Dryer is: Whirpool Cabrio Dryer Model #: WED8700EC 
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So when you set the Orbi's wifi security to disable, the devices would not see or connect to the Orbi wifi? If so, then I would contact Whirlpool about this and ask them for help and information. Let them know that you've tried the Orbi with no wifi security and with security enabled and the units would not connect. Ask them if there is any known problems with there devices connecting to NG Orbi systems...

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would contact Whirlpool about this and ask them for help and information. 

I doubt Whirlpool will be any help.  This is all about forcing a device or Iphone to connect at 2.4

Try turning down the 5g power at the router (if possible), unplug the Sat(s)  

This may force your phone (due to low power on the 5G and the distance) to 2.4.  

Message 5 of 8
soundersfc
Apprentice

There is another thread in this form about how to do this (very advanced).

I was packeging up my Orbi RBK setup to return it due to issues like you were having but then found that thread, seperated the 2.4 and 5 signals and it's been the best router setup I've ever had!  I suggest looking at that thread before you decide if this will work for you or not.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 8
tprronnie
Initiate

I sepreated my 2.5 and my 5GHz in 5 mins using youtube video was simple 

watch and see for yourself 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgVG8rR5o8

Message 8 of 8