Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Separate SSDI

Gellie
Aspirant

Separate SSDI

Is there a way to have seperate SSDI to see that band my devices are connected to?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Does it matter? Wireless clients connect to the best radio available unless it's heavily overloaded (number of clients, bandwidth). Neighbour (router or satellite) radio information is shared over the network by the RRM and visible to smart clients, fast roaming allowing smooth hand-over even with VoIP calls ongoing is available, too.

Just to see the details where and how a client device is associated to, go the Connected Device List, and click on (i) to the left.

Message 2 of 6
Gellie
Aspirant

Yes it does matter. With my old router I had a seperate password only for 5Ghz. IT was ONLY used for my work. This way the 5Ghz network was jammed up with other users. BTW i'm using the Orbi in bridge mode.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Well, that's an outdated model of resource sharing I'm afraid - my network cable, all the others network cable. This model was already overdue when your old router was designed, and has enforced different SSID for each radio. Times have changed, in fact the related standards exist for much longer, most of the consumer routers were behind much to long why ever (with Netgear hanging back far to long). Today, the control belongs to the network. And the coming-up 802.11ax is once much more going away from the "best throughput" thinking to a much more economic and optimised sharing of the radio resources on the very limited frequency bands. 

Netgear is perfectly right - it took a while to convince them - to push what they name "SmartConnect" on routers, and allowing one network name by security zone/IP subnet. Different SSID are used to connect to different security zones, different VLANs. And not for the I-want-to-plug-my-device-to-that-specific-radio.

Message 4 of 6
Gellie
Aspirant

Fair enough. But lets say my Iphone is running slow, and I want to see if its connected to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network?

Message 5 of 6
randomousity
Luminary

Then you can go to http://192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm (or whichever IP address is appropriate in your case), and then Administration > Attached Devices, and it'll list every device on your network, whether it's connected to the router or (one of) your satellite(s), and whether it's a wired connection, 2.4 GHz, or 5 GHz.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7