Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Separate WiFi 2.4 and 5ghz bands

notepro
Tutor

I followed your post about separating the 2.4 and 5G bands on the satellites.  The post mentions just setting the wlg1_ssid to show its 2.4G, it doesn't mention anything about setting the 5G band.  Did I miss something?  Also is the wlg1_ssid change it for both Satellities?  If not, what is the name of the second satellite?  Thanks.

Message 26 of 73
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@notepro wrote:

I followed your post about separating the 2.4 and 5G bands on the satellites.  The post mentions just setting the wlg1_ssid to show its 2.4G, it doesn't mention anything about setting the 5G band.  Did I miss something?  Also is the wlg1_ssid change it for both Satellities?  If not, what is the name of the second satellite?  Thanks.

To have different 5GHz SSID instead of 2.4GHz SSID, just change wla1_ssid on the target Orbi/Satellite instead of wlg1_ssid.  For example, replace wlg1_ssid with wla1_ssid as seen in the example.  Take a look at the before and after pictures to confirm.

Message 27 of 73
notepro
Tutor

It might be clearer to me once I understand the naming system.  So does wlg1_ssid refer to Satellite 1 on the Guest Network? Does wla1_ssid refer Satellite 1 on the Main wifi network?  If so, what is the designation for Satellite 2 on both the Guest and Main networks?  Sorry for my confusion.

Message 28 of 73
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@notepro wrote:

It might be clearer to me once I understand the naming system.  So does wlg1_ssid refer to Satellite 1 on the Guest Network? Does wla1_ssid refer Satellite 1 on the Main wifi network?  If so, what is the designation for Satellite 2 on both the Guest and Main networks?  Sorry for my confusion.

These two variables are used by Guest network only.  wla1_ssid is just a variable to store Guest SSID name for 5GHz, similarly wlg1_ssid stores Guest SSID name for 2.4GHz.  Each of these 2 variables will tell Orbi/Satellite what Guest SSID to broadcast.  By default, both stores the same Guest SSID for both bands.  The Main WiFi network uses a different set of variables to store its SSID i.e., wla_ssid and wl_ssid.

Think of it as two different WiFi networks.  Whatever changes we make to Guest SSID (wla1_ssid/wlg1_ssid) won't affect the Main nerwork SSID (wla_ssid/wl_ssid) at all.

For examples:

• To force Satellite-1 broadcasting unique 5GHz Guest SSID name, telnet into Satellite-1, and set its wla1_ssid="Satellite-1-5GHz"
  • To force Satellite-2 broadcasting a different Guest SSID from Satellite-1, telnet into Satellite-2, and set its wla1_ssid="Satellite-2-5GHz"
  • To force Orbi broadcasting a different Guest SSID, telnet into Orbi, and set its wla1_ssid="Orbi-5GHz"

Hope this helps!

Message 29 of 73
notepro
Tutor

Wow, thank you for that. So much clearer and I appreciate your help.

Message 30 of 73
ttb
Tutor
Tutor

same problem. using telnet i can view and change ssids.  after commit and reboot, they revert back. any one found a solution?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 73
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

What a mess Netgear has created. Users who needed to separate bands could, novices got the base config. Instead of leaving well enough alone, Netgear decided to spend time and resources to remove an advanced feature.

And to add insult to injury, you don't overtly watch for the change and warn that you are preventing it. Instead you silently check for the modification, undo it, and restart the interfaces.

Well Netgear, you broke my home automation. All my 5ghz devices are orphaned and must be reset and reconfigured.

Rather than continue to work around your apparently endless string of poor dev decisions, I'll be shopping for new router/wifi mesh. Rest assured that it will NOT be a Netgear product.

#DivorcePapers #YouHaveBeenServed
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has never supported separate of SSID names. NG has only given the disabling of either SSID radio broadcast as a temporary solution to help IoT users get there 2.4Ghz devices connected to Orbi. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true...

Users who choose to separate there SSIDs are at there own risk if telnet process fails or stops working. Again, something that NG does NOT officially support. Even on Orbi AX. 

Good Luck. 

Message 33 of 73
th3w01f
Apprentice

@OrbiPhilip  this post made me laugh, I'm 100% with you. I relegated my Orbi system with 4 satellites (1 outdoor) down to a shed last year, where it works fine providing wifi to the random person down there. It's a shame I spent so much $ for 'Features' that worked fine for years. Well i assume it still works, I don’t really care anymore as long as I can connect when I'm in the area and there is a signal down there.

As for all the commenters that say "that was never a feature" you're wrong, it was a feature, just not one that was advertised. Just reading these forums it's obvious that it was used quite often by advanced users. Most products have uses and configs that aren't directly advertised as features but most companies don't put work into disabling advanced features that work just fine. Now if they could have spent more time on the upgrade process, I don't think I had an upgrade go smoothly all of last year and I had to manually intervene in every one.

I guess they know what's best, maybe they'll implement a minimum 20 char password/key that rotates monthly in a setting that can't be changed so that they can help people ensure that their WiFi networks are secured.   That sounds like a nice update.  🙂

Message 34 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you think just because it was not "advertised" means NG supported it. Good luck with that. Again. Its NOT supported. Going foward, even Orbi AX doesn't allow for separate SSIDs. IF NG was going to fully support it. I'm sure it would have been done by now. Like USB Drive support. Something else that NG hasn't or doesn't wanna support. I"m sure NG has there reasons as well. Overall Single SSID works for the masses. Those of you who have this need to separate, by all means. Its your system. Just don't expect NG to honor support for it. Kind of hard to demand something when it wasn't there in the first place.

Enjoy. 

Message 35 of 73
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG has never supported separate of SSID names. ...
something that NG does NOT officially support. Even on Orbi AX.  

Thanks Captain Obvious. I can't tell you how awesome it is to see your cookie cutter posts spammed across every single thread.

Message 36 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Anytime. Some people may not read the entire thread so just informing them. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 73
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Enjoy? Are you leaving the forum?

Message 38 of 73
th3w01f
Apprentice

Enjoyment was never a supported feature and was never well documented. Any enjoyment you’ve gotten has been a byproduct and is now on the bug list to be removed with a future update that breaks satellite to router communications and requires a manual update of everything.

The manual update wasn’t required. It was added to the supportability list after it was shown to detract from enjoyment.
Message 39 of 73
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG has never supported separate of SSID names. ...
something that NG does NOT officially support. Even on Orbi AX.  

Thanks Captain Obvious. I can't tell you how awesome it is to see your cookie cutter posts spammed across every single thread.

That's funny.....for the record....a MESH system and its devices are all part of a single wireless network, and share the same SSID and password.  That's what a MESH system is and does.  But of course most know that.  That idea or fact that a user can go in and tweak a setting to break the frequencies apart to create separate SSIDs is nice, but that is not what a true MESH system was designed for.  

There are some who feel that the company who made the device that acts dumb under a MESH system is to blame, perhaps.  But from my experience a few years back, the company I was dealing with (or at least the person I spoke to) had not heard of the MESH system.  I'm sure they have today.  

My only suggestion is that IF a user does not like being told that a company does not support breaking out the SSIDs in a MESH system,  then go get a different router. save yourself some headaches.   There are many great ones out there that are non-MESH system and you can play with the SSIDs all day long.  

Message 40 of 73
Garybaldi
Tutor

I've been reading various posts/threads with interest.  I have just bought an RBK50 and have read about separating SSIDs for 2.4/5GHz.  I was hoping that the Orbi would be the answer to all my previous frustrations with various wifi set-ups over the Months/years.

I have a fairly simple requirement.  My NG R6300 5GHz network didn't quite extend to upstairs back of the house and garden and 2.4GHz on that was also a little ropey in that area.

So I also purchased some Tenda Nova MW6 mesh wifi boxes as I didn't want to spend loads on improving wifi.  I've ditched these due to some instabilities but primarily the fact that the 2.4GHz chan is fixed at 6 (and next to useless in my area) and devices often refuse to connect over 5Ghz so were left with very slow 2.4GHz connectivity.

So back to the Netgear Orbi. I bought these hoping that out of the box they would solve my problems..  That is to say, Orbi router on ground, and 1 satelite upstairs providing good 5GHz connectivity to supporting devices and 2.4GHz to those devices that need it.

Worst case I thought I'd separate the 5GHz and 2.4 networks and connect devices to each.

So after a couple of days of setup I'm currently at a situation where most of my devices inc iPhones that support 5GHz spend most of their time connected to the 2.4GHz network..

I have devices e.g. Laptop / two Sky Q boxes / Xbox One where I absolutely want to force them to use 5GHz... 

So I'm now ready to really throw my toys out of the pram and send the RBK50 back, having found out that with the later firmware I can no longer use the telnet method to separate the Networks.

I don't want these devices to download at slower speeds over 2.4GHz, when they're capable of using 5GHz and all of my internet bandwidth..  I didn't grace Netgear with my hard earned cash to be in a worse situation (speed wise) than I was with my ageing R6300 (albeit I now have great coverage).

I get the concept of Mesh and 1 SSID and allowing the tech to do its thing..  that'd be fine if it actually worked properly.  Unless I can get my devices connecting reliably to 5GHz, these are going back and I'm back to square 1.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 41 of 73
Garybaldi
Tutor

In addition to my last post.  I've now managed to get my laptop connecting reliably via the 5GHz band with the WiFi nic 'Prefer 5 GHz band' setting.  1 device down, around 15 to go.

I've also read that there is still a workaound to creating separate 2.4/5GHz SSIDs if needed.

With only my 5GHz devices in mind, given that a multi access point (mesh) system by design, provides full coverage to an area, I simply do not understand why I would ever want devices to connect to the 2.4GHz band.  So not sure why it's seen that separating the SSIDs would some how 'break' mesh functionality or its design.  Coverage/Range is not an issue given router and satelite(s).

Although it's not a massive issue if my phones connect to the 2.4GHz band, I'd still like the choice of forcing them to 5GHz.  My broadband tops out at 78Mbps... devices via 2.4GHz get around 40-45Mbps..  when connected to 5GHz around 65-75Mbps.  So only time it would be nice for phones is things like updates.

Sky Q box is currently powerlined.  Sky Q mini box is seen as wired as it meshes to the main Sky Q box.

The remaning concerns are consoles and TVs for steaming.  I want them on 5GHz.

Message 42 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Be aware that it's up to your devices to pick and choose where they want to connect to. Orbi only provides the platform and something to connect to. Device choose which signal to connect to based on signal strength, quality, noise and environment. 

Message 43 of 73
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be aware that it's up to your devices to pick and choose where they want to connect to. Orbi only provides the platform and something to connect to. Device choose which signal to connect to based on signal strength, quality, noise and environment. 

And that is why being able to use different SSIDs is very important to many users. 

Message 44 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

I get that. Thats something NG doesnt' seem to want to support for unknown reasons. 

Though some users have used the telnet option. For some, it works, for others not so much. 

Message 45 of 73
Garybaldi
Tutor

Yes absolutely, and I don’t disagree with that. And through band steering the router assists this. We also know this is an issue with many manfacturers equipment.

It would be amazing if clients/devices all had a band preference setting/controls.

However rather than dealing with that on multiple clients, it would be great to have some more control over that from an AP/router perspective.
Message 46 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree as well. Since Smart Connect same out years ago, this has been problematic for everyone router mfr and device mfrs. Before it was easy, you set either frequency to a different SSID and you told the device which one to connect too. Now it's all automatic. I'm sure it's a hassle for the chipset mfrs on both sides of the fence let alone the router mfr who integrate and test all this. 

Message 47 of 73
theoak
Luminary

So wild idea ... there are a few custom modified firmwares out there even based off of 2.5.1.8.  You can Google for them.  If your Orbi is out of warrant/support and you are brave, maybe these custom firmwares open up the features you are looking for?  Of course Netgear is going to say "no no no".  Additionally, you can brick your device along the way.  Using custom firmwares is definitely an advanced advanced skill set.  Do so at your own risk.

Message 48 of 73
Deihmos
Guide

After all these years and so many complaints it is amazing Netgear hasn't added an option to seperate the ssid.

Message 49 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

For those who want to try 3rd party FW for the Orbi 50 series only, can find it here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1839...

This is only for the 50 series Orbi. Other Orbi models are not supported. 

NG hasn't made any separation of SSIDs official. Even with Orbi AX, its' still not support. Users have been asking about this for a long time and NG doesn't seem to want to give in. User can temporarily disable SSIDs for either frequency however which does help get 2.4Ghz devices connected. No need to have separate SSIDs. This is a 2.4Ghz device Mfr setup software problem and not NG Orbi issue however. 

Good Luck. 

Message 50 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7