Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Serial Number not recognized orbi

Mageezer
Aspirant

Serial Number not recognized orbi

I have to do a factory reset on my router because I cannot login to orbilogin.net or 192.168.1.1. When I select the option to login using serial number it says the serial number on the bottom of my router is not recognized. I tried the other two mesh extenders and no luck. My support warranty is expired by 3 years so I am stuck with a router I cannot change the settings on. I even called netgear and they told me I would have to pay for support. I love my orbi and I feel like this isn't fair. Has anyone else had this issue or can anyone help me?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Serial Number not recognized orbi

There may be a misconception. Doiing a factory reset and configuration on an Orbi does not require inputting a serial number.

I have done this dozens of times.

When the router powers up after a factory reset, everything entered into memory is wiped out and the router is set to "out of the box" condition:

• The WiFi SSID/password are set to the values printed on the product label.
  • The Orbi web interface is set to user ID "admin" (which cannot be changed) and the password is "password" (which the setup process practically demands be changed).

There is a function called Password Recovery which comes up when an incorrect password has been entered three times in a row that wants the serial number (to prove that you are in fact in physical possession of the router).

Perhaps the paperclip was not held in the tiny reset hole  until the power LED turned amber and began to flash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Message 2 of 6
Mageezer
Aspirant

Correct it is the password recovery. It will not accept my serial number. TRIED Everything including making zeros capital O's and vice versa. Called netgear and they wanted me to pay for tech support to login to my own router settings. I even tried the serial number on the two other mesh receivers or whatever they are called. I did do the reset as you say to do it correctly.
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Factory Reset erases your password.  It cannot be recovered.  During setup, you can change the password from "password" to whatever you want.(such as the previous password).

Message 4 of 6
PatmanGear
Initiate

Unfortunately, the problem the user is having is not understood by the person replying. When you can't remember the password, try to login 3 time unsuccessfully, you are prompted to enter the serial number of the router to help log in. However, when typing in the serial number of the bottom of the router, the reply is that the serial number doesn't match the router. The user is not the only one having this problem. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a valid observation (although a bit late to be helpful).

It is difficult to speculate what could cause the router not to accept the serial number printed on the product label.  Whatever the cause is, I am unaware of any method to gain access to the router web interface except doing a Factory Reset.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7