Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set Orbi as a bridge instead of an access point

MatTeague
Aspirant

Set Orbi as a bridge instead of an access point

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here so I hope I've posted this correctly. I currently have a ASUS router (thinking of changing this to a Nighthawk) but I wanted to get an Orbi to ack as a wireless bridge. Is this possible to set the Orbi to bridge mode and keep my current router managing the network and still have its own wifi? 

From looking on the internet it just seems that it only mentions setting the Orbi as an access point or disabling the current router's wifi and Ethernet connecting it to the Orbi, so that it handles the wifi. Which isn't what I would want to do.

Any help or advice is really appropriated and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Set Orbi as a bridge instead of an access point

No, its not possible with current firmware to set Orbi to a canned Bridge Mode.

So what you want to do is have the Orbi Router connected to your Asus/Nighthawk router via ethernet cable, have its Wifi (to clients turned off) and only have its backhaul WiFi running to the satellite(s) turned on (maybe some wired clients if necessary)?  And also have the satellite(s) do the same, with Wifi to clients turned off and just wired clients communicating back to your Asus/Nighthawk router?

Message 2 of 3

Re: Set Orbi as a bridge instead of an access point

@MatTeague wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here so I hope I've posted this correctly. I currently have a ASUS router (thinking of changing this to a Nighthawk) but I wanted to get an Orbi to ack as a wireless bridge. Is this possible to set the Orbi to bridge mode and keep my current router managing the network and still have its own wifi? 

so just to clarify what you want here

you want to keep your current router running with its wifi enabled and have the orbi connect back to that router via wifi ? that is what is known as a wireless repeater and the orbi does not do that and it would be a waste of the orbi even if it did as you would lose 50% of the throughput to the repeater

the logic here is that if you do connect the orbi router to the asus or netgear by ethernet and run it in access point mode and switch of the wifi in the asus or netgear you would achieve the same if not better than doing repeater mode and have better coverage

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7