Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Set up Orbi in new house and no have no wifi on Nighthawk in current house

SgtHulka
Aspirant

Set up Orbi in new house and no have no wifi on Nighthawk in current house

I just set up an Orbi in my new house and went through the registration process.  I will be moving here in a month

When I got home to my current house I cannot connect to my Nighthawk via wifi.  I can connect via ethernet.  I am sure that the registration at the new house knocked my Nighthawk off due to the new username and pw.  I obviously did not realize that these were universal account settings.  

My question is how to change the username and pw on the Nighthawk to match the new settings?

Is there anything else I need to do to have these 2 routers running in 2 different locations?

Thanks.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
vajim
Master

@SgtHulka wrote:

I just set up an Orbi in my new house and went through the registration process.  I will be moving here in a month

When I got home to my current house I cannot connect to my Nighthawk via wifi.  I can connect via ethernet.  I am sure that the registration at the new house knocked my Nighthawk off due to the new username and pw.  I obviously did not realize that these were universal account settings.  

My question is how to change the username and pw on the Nighthawk to match the new settings?

Is there anything else I need to do to have these 2 routers running in 2 different locations?

Thanks.

I'm sorry but your questions doesn't make sense.  Where these systems are located (old/new house) shouldn't make a difference.

When you say account setting, sounds like your talking to your Netgear account?  That's different than the actual router and any sats.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@SgtHulka wrote:

Please explain "cannot connect".  Does the Nighthawk router no longer broadcast the same WiFi SSID/password as it did before you walked out the door?  Does this involve every WiFi device, or the Nighthawk "app" that was being used to control the router?

Message 3 of 5
SgtHulka
Aspirant

Crimson, thanks for reply.  My Nighthawk R8000 is in my current home.  I have been using this network for years. After setting up Netgear account & then the Orbi at the new house, I cannot connect to any device from the Nighthawk (old house)

I can find the WiFi network but when I try to connect I get an invalid password error or a cannot connect error.  My wired devices cannot find the server although the toolbar Ethernetr icon says connected to the internet. 

I cannot connect to the router using 192.168.1.1.  I have tried my Nighthawk pw and my new Orbi pw.  So it seems my set up on the Netgear network is involved.  I obviously am not very skilled so any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

One thing is guaranteed to work: Reset the Nighthawk.

See page 11 and page 189 of the R8000 User Guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE 

This will reset the WiFi SSID/password to what is printed on the product label.

This also means that any devices which are already connected to the R8000 will be disconnected immediately.

To fix that, you have to log into the R8000, open the admin web site using the credentials "admin" and "password" and then reset the WiFi to what it was originally.

Notice that no "app" is involved in this process and no Netgear credentials.  This is totally a matter of you and the router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7