Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting DHCP range

gossamer1
Aspirant

Setting DHCP range

Hi, I'm a relatively experienced network technician and have the RBR40 (only the RBR50 is listed) and it has picked 10.0.0.0/24 as the network. Is it possible to configure the IP and range of IPs that are assigned to devices?

Our local network is a 192.168.1.0/24 and I'd like to start with 192.168.1.110 and let it continue through 192.168.1.200. 

We have the RBR40 connected to our internal router, not directly to the cable modem, and it's working fine. I have noticed that it requests its IP from the DHCP server on our internal router pretty frequently. Is that to be expected?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Setting DHCP range

The Orbi has picked the 10.x.x.x DHCP range because it does not want to conflict with the network it is connected to  (192.168.x.x).  The Orbi wants to tell its DHCP clients, "I am the gateway to the world."  If you tell the Orbi to assign IP's in the 192.168.x.x address space, then the Orbi will be very confused.

The easy solution to this problem is to place the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode and let the primary router assign IP addresses to everything on the network, including the Orbi router, the Orbi satellites, and every device which connects to the Orbi.

As to the second question:  The Orbi follows DHCP protocols.  When half of the DHCP lease has expired, the Orbi will request a lease renewal.  Perhaps that router is handing out DHCP leases with a short life?

Message 2 of 4
gossamer1
Aspirant

Re: Setting DHCP range

Hi, thanks so much for your help.

I've hardcoded the DHCP lease time to be one day, even though that's the default, and it just ignores it. It appears to renew randomly, based on info from the logs, like it's being powered off and on again at random intervals.

I understand it could get confused with assigning addresses in an existing range, but I expected it would have the ability to designate a range.

How do I configure it to use AP mode? I don't see anything in the support docs or in the Orbi app interface.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7