Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting Different WiFi Passwords for 2.4 and 5GHz Connections

paologonzalez
Aspirant

Setting Different WiFi Passwords for 2.4 and 5GHz Connections

Good day! I followed the steps in this community discussion (How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi), so I was able to set a different SSID for the 5GHz network. Is there a way to set different passwords for the 2.4 and 5GHz connections?

I tried to do set wl_wpa_psk and wl_wpa2_psk passwords through telnet, so that these are different from the wla_wpa_psk and wla_wpa2_psk passwords. Unfortunately, the connections seem to become very unstable. The WiFi would keep disconnecting.

The reason I am trying to do this is because I want to provide a different (more restricted) connection for guests, while I still maintain a faster connection for the people who really have to regularly use the WiFi. I couldn't find a way to do this with the Guest Network.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
paologonzalez
Aspirant

Re: Setting Different WiFi Passwords for 2.4 and 5GHz Connections

I just thought of this, but is there a way to limit the Guest network to only use the 2.4GHz band?

Message 2 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Setting Different WiFi Passwords for 2.4 and 5GHz Connections

@paologonzalez wrote:

I just thought of this, but is there a way to limit the Guest network to only use the 2.4GHz band?

To Disable the Guest 5GHz band follow the following:

1. From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  4. Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  5. Enter the following commands: 
    1. config set wla1_endis_guestNet=0
    2. config commit
    3. config get wl5g_GUEST_AP       --> You should get ath11 
    4. ifconfig ath11 down         --> ath11 is what you got in the previous command
  6. Repeat the above for every satellite.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7