Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting Up iPv6 on Orbi50

Piquard
Aspirant

Setting Up iPv6 on Orbi50

I am with a ISP who provide a Static IP. They are moving us over tp IPv6 and have provided me with the IPv6 settings. I have the WAN IP6 Address, WAN IP6 Gateway , and the LAN IP6 Network address.
How do I go about setting up my Orbi RBR 50 router?
I am using a iMac with OS version 10.13.6. I have logged into the Orbi settings and enabled the iPv6 and selected the Fixed option, and entered all of the appropriate settings.
On my iMac, when I go into my Network Preferences it shows that it has registered the iPv 6 settings. BUT when I run a Traceroute using a iPv6 address, like for Google or Cloudflare it says the host is unknown or do a ping it is unable to complete it. It says "cannot resolve the address , unknown host. 

When I go to iPv6 test site it does not recognise my iPv6 settings.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I have done wrong and how to fix it?? I have rebooted the computer.
Assistance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try one of the other multiple configuration options in the RBRs IPv6 web page. 

Message 2 of 9
nicholb
Luminary

Here's a good site for testing you IPv6. It might give you a better idea of where the problem lies. 

http://test-ipv6.com/

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Piquard wrote:

I am with a ISP who provide a Static IP. They are moving us over tp IPv6 and have provided me with the IPv6 settings. I have the WAN IP6 Address, WAN IP6 Gateway , and the LAN IP6 Network address.

Thanks for the "heads up", as this may eventually happen to more (and more) of us.  I am puzzled that the ISP does not offer to supply the IPv6 information using DHCP.  Having a "static IP" means that it is assigned specifically to you and will not be changed unexpectedly. I do not see what would prevent the ISP from responding to a DHCP request with the information specific to your account.

How did you decide that "fixed" was the correct option to select?  Page 87 in the Orbi User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 4 of 9
Piquard
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38, thanks for responding.

I live in Australia and we have National Broadband Network, and in my case I have Fibre to the Home. The modem, which the NBN Co supply is called a NetworkTerminationDevice ( NTD) and the Orbi is connected to one of its data (  UNI-D ) Ports. The ISP informs me which port to use.

I have inputed the iPv6 information provided by my ISP into the Orbi iPv6 settings. I have Applied them and they appear to registered on the Orbi.

Within the iPv6 setting I have selected the " Fixed " option as I have a Static iPv6 address.

When I run a iPv6 test it appears that the test doesn't recognise the iPv6 settings. It recognises the iPv4 settings. 

Message 5 of 9
Piquard
Aspirant

hi Crimp on, thanks for responding, just for your info I live in Australia where we have a National Broad Band Network and my case I have Fibre to the Home which provides very fast speeds.

I used the " Fixed " setting as I assumed that as I have a Static iPv6 address that would be the appropriate setting??

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Piquard wrote:

hi Crimp on, thanks for responding, just for your info I live in Australia where we have a National Broad Band Network and my case I have Fibre to the Home which provides very fast speeds.

I used the " Fixed " setting as I assumed that as I have a Static iPv6 address that would be the appropriate setting??

Reading the Orbi User Manual about IPv6 makes me dizzy.  I would probably call the ISP (who gave me the IPv6 iinformation) and ask, "how the heck do I set up my router with this?  Can't I just keep using DHCP and have your network send me the settings when I ask for them?"

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume you do have IPv6 enabled on the PC right? 

Does connecting a wired PC directly to your Fiber ONT result in getting IPv6?

Try some of the other settings to see if anything changes. 

Let us know if if the ISP can help on this...

@Piquard wrote:

Hi FURRYe38, thanks for responding.

I live in Australia and we have National Broadband Network, and in my case I have Fibre to the Home. The modem, which the NBN Co supply is called a NetworkTerminationDevice ( NTD) and the Orbi is connected to one of its data (  UNI-D ) Ports. The ISP informs me which port to use.

I have inputed the iPv6 information provided by my ISP into the Orbi iPv6 settings. I have Applied them and they appear to registered on the Orbi.

Within the iPv6 setting I have selected the " Fixed " option as I have a Static iPv6 address.

When I run a iPv6 test it appears that the test doesn't recognise the iPv6 settings. It recognises the iPv4 settings. 

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Piquard wrote:

I am using a iMac with OS version 10.13.6. I have logged into the Orbi settings and enabled the iPv6 and selected the Fixed option, and entered all of the appropriate settings.
On my iMac, when I go into my Network Preferences it shows that it has registered the iPv 6 settings. BUT when I run a Traceroute using a iPv6 address, like for Google or Cloudflare it says the host is unknown or do a ping it is unable to complete it. It says "cannot resolve the address , unknown host. 

When I go to iPv6 test site it does not recognise my iPv6 settings.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I have done wrong and how to fix it?? I have rebooted the computer.
Assistance would be appreciated.

As @FURRYe38 mentioned, there can be issues on the device which prevent IPv6 operation.  I had a similar result from the test-ipv6.com web site, and then realized that although my Orbi has IPv6 configured, both of my Windows machines were "IPv4 Only".  My smartphone passed easily (because I had not tinkered with it).  I know nothing about iMac network settings, but it might be worth taking a few minutes to try some other devices.

I would also test IPv6 from the Orbi router itself.  i.e. telnet into the router, log in, and enter a command such as

ping 2001:4860:4860::8888

(IPv6 for Google DNS) or

traceroute 2001:4860:4860::8888

If these fail from the Orbi router, than the iMac settings are probably fine.

When I reread the original post, I do not see anything about IPv6 DNS servers.  Ping and traceroute do not need DNS, but "Cannot resolve host" might to be related to a DNS issue?  (Or not.  Getting up to speed on IPv6 appears to be more difficult than I had hoped it would be.)

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7