Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up AC3000 for sprawling ranch house

MargeE
Aspirant

Setting up AC3000 for sprawling ranch house

I am looking to setup a mesh network in my daughter’s long sprawling ranch house.  The square footage is 2700 ft, 5 bedrooms, plus 5 other rooms.  The layout leans more toward a long rectangle than a square.  The ISP connection comes into the house in the office which is roughly in the center of the house.  Currently, she has some repeaters set up to get the signal down to the studio and bedrooms at one end, and the living room and family room at the other with somewhat spotty success.  The two repeaters are hard wired with ethernet cable.  The studio has 4 ethernet connected devices that are currently connected to the repeater via an unmanaged switch.  The office in the center of the house has one ethernet connected device.  The issue to resolve is slow and spotty wireless connections and losing signal as you move through the house.

I am looking at the Orbi A3000 3-pack available at Costco.  My thinking would be to backhaul the two satellites but I have read several posts where people seem to have issues with the hardwired ethernet solution.  Does this plan seem reasonable?  Are there any other pieces of info I need before purchasing the unit?  It seems like a good price but still isn't cheap.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

2700sq ft is a bit small for a 3 pack. I would try a base router and 1 satellite. I have a 5000sq ft home two level multiple rooms and use the base router upstairs at one end of the house and the satellite at the other end. about 40 feet in between. 30 feet is recommended between base router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials. wood and dry wall doesn't present much of a problem. Older homes or building of concrete, this can pose a problem for wifi signal penetration. 

Have had zero issues with wired back haul. Have there network switches in between my router and satellite. 

Message 2 of 11
MargeE
Aspirant

Is the recommendation for 30 ft between so the wireless coverage doesn't overlap?  In other words, what happens if the distance is less than 30 ft.?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

yes, you don't want too much over lap. So farther is best from the router. The router can cover up to around 2000sq ft alone. 30 feet seem to be a starting point for Orbi systems. 

Message 4 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

2700sq ft is a bit small for a 3 pack. I would try a base router and 1 satellite. I have a 5000sq ft home two level multiple rooms and use the base router upstairs at one end of the house and the satellite at the other end. about 40 feet in between. 30 feet is recommended between base router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials. wood and dry wall doesn't present much of a problem. Older homes or building of concrete, this can pose a problem for wifi signal penetration. 

Have had zero issues with wired back haul. Have there network switches in between my router and satellite. 

The size of a house is NOT a factor in the WIFI world, unless you're trying to push the signal from one end to the other.  It's range NOT house size.

Message 5 of 11
MargeE
Aspirant

The router will be in the middle of the house.  Then I have about 45 ft to the first satellite going one way, and 40 ft to the second satellite going the opposite way.  Very long, skinny space.  Are there any down-sides to using the RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites?  Would using one of the wall plug satellite models in the location that does not need ethernet connections make better sense?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If your placing the router in the middle and have a satellite on opposing sides, that distance, you'll be fine. Just wanted to make sure you don't get too much over lap between them. 

Any other wifi nieghbors near by? 

A plug in would work as well if theres not much need for internet access at a remote location. Of course, the satellite you get in the box will work as well. The 3 pack should cover your household nicely in that configuration. 

@MargeE wrote:

The router will be in the middle of the house.  Then I have about 45 ft to the first satellite going one way, and 40 ft to the second satellite going the opposite way.  Very long, skinny space.  Are there any down-sides to using the RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites?  Would using one of the wall plug satellite models in the location that does not need ethernet connections make better sense?

Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MargeE wrote:

Having the router in the middle of the house is the best possible option other than being elevated at that point would make it even better.  40-45 feet might be a push.  I would try it.  The Sat will tell you (magenta light) if the signal is not good.  If you do get the magenta light, let it sit there for about 30 minutes to see if it clears.  If it stays magenta then you'll have to either move the Sat or router closer together.  Good luck.

Message 8 of 11
MargeE
Aspirant

There are no neighbors close enough that I can see their networks, so that is probably a good thing.  Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!

Message 9 of 11
MargeE
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions!  I can get the router up to the top shelf of the closet - hadn't thought about that.  Every little bit helps, right?

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good. then you should be interference free. 

Set one up and see how it goes. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

@MargeE wrote:

There are no neighbors close enough that I can see their networks, so that is probably a good thing.  Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7