Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Orbi with LTE router

TLI-mark
Tutor

Setting up Orbi with LTE router

I have the Orbi WiFi router. I have a NETGEAR LB 1120 LTE modem. I’ve installed a t-mobile sim. The modem is making connection. I’ve set it to bridge mode. The Orbi has brief connection and then drops it. All browsers say no internet connection. I’m stuck and not sure what setting to change to keep the Orbi up

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

If you set the modem back to router mode and configure the Orbi for AP mode, does Orbi remain connected then? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the distance between the modem and Orbi base? Feet? 

Message 2 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

I will tr that. The router and Orbi are inches apart. I connect them through the lan

Message 3 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Any wifi on the modem enabled by chance? I know if bridge mode is set, hopefully the wireless on the modem is also disabled. Having the modem too close to the Orbi base could cause problems if the wireless is enabled ON the modem. 

Message 4 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

Set LB 1120 to router and Orbi to AP mode seemed to give me a connection BRIEFLY and the Orbi is staying “white”. But the devices connected to the internet are not getting internet at this point so I can’t call it a success. 

Message 5 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you factoy reset the Orbi base and walk thru the setup wizard with a wire connected PC connected to the back of the router base. Leave the satellites OFF for right now. Walk thru the setup wizard. I would also power OFF the modem then back on. While it's coming back to ready, reset the Orbi router and start the set up wizard. Let us know if this completes successfully or not. You can reset the Orbi router from the web page found at Advanced Tab/Backup/ERASE with your browser. 

Message 6 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@TLI-mark wrote:

I have the Orbi WiFi router. I have a NETGEAR LB 1120 LTE modem. I’ve installed a t-mobile sim. The modem is making connection. I’ve set it to bridge mode. The Orbi has brief connection and then drops it. All browsers say no internet connection. I’m stuck and not sure what setting to change to keep the Orbi up

This can be caused by the lease time given by the LTE router to Orbi.

Please check under >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> INTERNET PORT >> CONNECTION STATUS.

What is the Lease Obtained time? What DNS server is being used?

Message 7 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

I am having no luck getting back into the Orbi after doing a factory reset on the back.

On the Advanced-Advanced   lease question. I don't see that in the LTE router settings. Is that something on the Orbi?

Message 8 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

You can reset the Orbi as well using it's web page under Advanced Tab/Backup/ERASE with a wire connected PC to the Orbi base router. 

@TLI-mark wrote:

I am having no luck getting back into the Orbi after doing a factory reset on the back.

On the Advanced-Advanced   lease question. I don't see that in the LTE router settings. Is that something on the Orbi?

Message 9 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@TLI-mark wrote:

On the Advanced-Advanced lease question. I don't see that in the LTE router settings. Is that something on the Orbi?

Yes this information is in Orbi. It's very likely that this is what causes your issue.

Please check this when you finish your adventure with factory resetting. 🙂

Message 10 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

Argh. I thought I was technologically literate. I can't even accomplish a factory reset. It just keeps blinking white. I never get an amber light to move from.  This is clearly my hold up at this point in that I've now wiped the network settings and I need to get the Orbi up and running again.

Satellites are off. I did that a while ago to take them out of the equation.

Message 11 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@TLI-mark wrote:

Argh. I thought I was technologically literate. I can't even accomplish a factory reset. It just keeps blinking white. I never get an amber light to move from.  This is clearly my hold up at this point in that I've now wiped the network settings and I need to get the Orbi up and running again.

Satellites are off. I did that a while ago to take them out of the equation.

You don't need to wait for any amber light. When the router is up, connect to the wifi (or connect a computer using a cable) and start the setup wizard!

Message 12 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

DNS server 29.142.169.1

Lease Obtained 1Days 6Hours, 0minutes

Lease expires 1Day, 5 hours, 58 Minutes

Message 13 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure the button is being pressed in fully. You should feel a bump when pressing the button. 

Can you log in to the routers web page? 

Message 14 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@TLI-mark wrote:

DNS server 29.142.169.1

Lease Obtained 1Days 6Hours, 0minutes

Lease expires 1Day, 5 hours, 58 Minutes

I suggest to do the following changes (if you want you can start with step 1 only first and see if it helps alone, if not then go for step 2 later😞

1. Change the DNS to 8.8.8.8

2. Change the lease time to 1 hour as follows:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
  • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400 which means 24 hours
  • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=3600    — 3600 means 1 hour
  • root@RBR50:/# config commit
Message 15 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

It seems all the reboots and resets have helped.

Everything appears to be holding stable at the moment. Internet speeds are not where I hoped, but they are better then the slow DSL speed I'm hoping to replace.

I'm going to let this all settle out and see where I'm at.

Thank you ALL for the great help.

Message 16 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Once you get into a better modem system, the Orbi will work better. 

Message 17 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

There clearly seems to be a speed issue. Orbit was reporting 25.2 Mbps which is better than DSL 15 Mbps

but when I actual test streaming, like Netflix, I obviously am NOT getting enough speed to actual stream content. Something is wrong, but at least I seem to be getting a good connection between the modem and Orbi.  Now I probably have a sim issue.

Message 18 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe hitting a bandwidth speed limit issue for Netflx or any streaming. 

Message 19 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

This is a sim for a laptop.  t-mobile says it is set up with unlimited data. Speed should be good. It is very possible the orbi is seeing this as a hotspot and that data speed could be limited.  I’m just not sure

Message 20 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

I'm connected and holding.  Orbi speed test is great. But when I use a browser on any device connected by wifi the speeds are so slow I can't even run a speed test.

I have changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 as recommended (something I normally do)

I'm afraid I'm stuck on the telnet instructions. I have ticked the Enable telnet box, but not following the remainder of the instructions.

Message 21 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

Of course. I'm on a mac and telnet was removed from terminal. I'm not trying to get it reinstalled to follow the recommendation.

It seems nothing is easy

Message 22 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@TLI-mark wrote:

Of course. I'm on a mac and telnet was removed from terminal. I'm not trying to get it reinstalled to follow the recommendation.

It seems nothing is easy

Ok, let's see if the DNS change alone will help.

You can do much in Orbi using telnet. You can easily add telent in MacOS using the steps here.

Message 23 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

I am able to telnet

But following the root commands I get no such file or directory

I double check command appears to be typed correctly
Message 24 of 37
ekhalil
Master

The commands you need to enter are as follows: