Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Orbi with LTE router

TLI-mark
Tutor

Thank you. I'm still getting an error. Here's what it looks like

Marks-iMac:~ Mark$ config get wan_lease

-bash: config: command not found

Message 26 of 37
ekhalil
Master

You need first to do the following:
1. At the promt Marks-iMac:~ Mark$ enter the following command (I’m assuming your Orbi’s IP is 192.168.1.1 so please change to the correct IP address):
telnet 192.168.1.1
2. Enter admin and then you password when prompt to.
3. When you get the prompt root@RBR50 or root@RBR40 then please enter the config commands as follows:
config get wan_lease
config set wan_lease=3600
config commit
Message 27 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

Thank you. Can you tell I don't work in the terminal much?

It may be the poor internet speeds I'm getting, but at this point I'm getting the message "unable to connect to remote host" when I give the telnet command

I put the computer on my phone hotspot (a little better or consistent internet) and I've confirmed the debug mode on the orbi has telnet enabled

Message 28 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

Update on this post:

I may be ready to admit failure on this experiment after spending the day on it. Thanks for all the help.

Right now, the modem and Orbi are staying up and running (that was my first problem)

Now. the LB1120 is running in Modem mode and the Orbi in AP mode

Orbi speed test will show speeds at 22 Mpbs at times. Speedtest by Okala app on iOS and Mac will also show good speed 

the speed tests are not consistent. Sometimes the also test below 1Mbps

Even when these tests are good, actual internet use is not. Browsers load slow on all devices. Netflix (and other streaming services) are extremely slow. This is on iOS devices and AppleTV as test. Also Netflix through the Dish hardware (obviously also dependant on internet)

I'm stumped at why the Orbi and speed tests on devices would show an acceptable speed, but browsers and apps would be consistently slow.  I am pretty sure I've never seen actually good use of the internet on any of the devices. Speed tests are useless if the devices aren't actually working.

Message 29 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@TLI-mark wrote:

It may be the poor internet speeds I'm getting, but at this point I'm getting the message "unable to connect to remote host" when I give the telnet command

1. Are you sure of the Orbi router's IP address?
  2. Please untick Enable telnet and tick it again and try.
Message 30 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

Doh. the IP address was incorrect. I've only been staring at it for a day.

Commands entered and Orbi rebooted. Confirmed that current lease is 3600

Very early observation suggests this did not correct speed issue.

Message 31 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@TLI-mark wrote:

Very early observation suggests this did not correct speed issue.

This will not help in speed issues, this will only help with WAN (internet) port instability issues. 🙂

Message 32 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

I assumed that was true. But I’m thinking of the people that might read this thread with similar issues. Thank you for getting me this far. 

Message 33 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

I was never able to get the t-mobile sim to work, but had immediate success activating an AT&T mobile sime through otrmobile.com (not an advertisement

This ran great all day Sunday, but when I got up on Monday the Orbi had been kicked off the internet.  I power cycled the Orbi and all is well again. It's too early to know if this will repeat, but I'm wondering if that is a sign of a leasing issue like what started this thread?

Message 34 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible Modem issue as well...

What FW version are you using now on the Orib? 

@TLI-mark wrote:

I was never able to get the t-mobile sim to work, but had immediate success activating an AT&T mobile sime through otrmobile.com (not an advertisement

This ran great all day Sunday, but when I got up on Monday the Orbi had been kicked off the internet.  I power cycled the Orbi and all is well again. It's too early to know if this will repeat, but I'm wondering if that is a sign of a leasing issue like what started this thread?

Message 35 of 37
TLI-mark
Tutor

I'm not at home to check, but I know that when I was working on this I checked the firmware and was told I was up-to-date

Message 36 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

There is new FW for the 40 series if you haven't seen it or your system hasn't already updated:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7