Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up a RBS20 to receive wifi only and output to Ethernet

FreddyG
Aspirant

Setting up a RBS20 to receive wifi only and output to Ethernet

Hi,

I have and old piece of hifi gear that needed a wired connection in a room separate from the locations of my RBK20 and RBS20 sat, so I decided to add another RBS20 into this new room and plug this old network receiver into the Ethernet port on the new RBS20.

This is when problems began, my Orbi network at home now looks like a star and the new satellite has caused a lot of instability in the existing network, so i’ve had to turn it off. The only thing I can think of now is to replace the new satellite with a power line setup, but this wastes the money i’ve spent on the new satellite and I have to spend more $$ on the power line connections.

So, I suppose my question is, can I set up the new satellite to receive the signal only and output to the Ethernet port and not retransmit the network as I assume this is what is causing the issue? Then I can use the new satellite as a receive only and solves my problem.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Fred 

Western Australia 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

It is not possible to do what you want using the Orbi as intended.  On some Orbi models, it is possible to log into a satellite with telnet and type commands to turn radios off.  I do not recall if those commands work on the RBS20 satellites.

It is really common to have Orbi satellites in a "star" configuration (which is generally preferred to a "Daisy Chain" configuration). Adding a second satellite should not cause instability in an Orbi network.  Orbi officially supports up to three satellites, and many forum members report having 4 to 6 satellites active at the same time.

It might be worth a little trouble-shooting to determine why adding a second satellite appears to cause problems for the Orbi network.

Message 2 of 4
FreddyG
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn, appreciate the feedback. Just picked up a cheapie Dlink powerline set up for the time being, until I get the courage (and a cold beer) to work my way through some solutions.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Fortunately, audio takes almost no bandwidth, so even the least expensive Powerline would provide enough if it works.  I have four Powerline AV2000 units installed.  Between two the link rate is (reported to be) 1.2GB.  Between 1 and 4, however, it reports 40-60mb.  Performance decreases with distance, with the number of breakers it goes through, and when it has to change electrical phase.  It is still plenty fast for my IP cameras, but about every 3-4 months that 4th unit simply goes off line and I have to reset it.

A lot of computing technology is similar to magic.

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7