Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up a VPN---ORBI RBR20

LaSabana
Aspirant

Setting up a VPN---ORBI RBR20

Model version: RBR-20 ORBI AC 2200

Firmware v2.5.1.16

Windows 10 Latest version update 2004.

I see that there is considerable amount discussion regarding VPN; My question are there VPN (paid/free)  that would be more compatible with my current set up? I see that to properly configure a VPN requires a great deal of adjustments. Any insight would be helpfull. I have owned this router and satellite for over two years. Thanks again.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@LaSabana wrote:

I see that there is considerable amount discussion regarding VPN; My question are there VPN (paid/free)  that would be more compatible with my current set up? I see that to properly configure a VPN requires a great deal of adjustments. Any insight would be helpfull. I have owned this router and satellite for over two years. Thanks again.

VPN has more than one meaning.  Orbi can be configured as a VPN "Host", to allow client devices to connect to the Orbi LAN from the internet.  This is useful when (a) you want to have access to the Orbi web interface, (b) you want access to some computer resource on the local LAN when you are not home, or (c) when you want to access something on the internet but want to "appear" to be home instead of someplace else.  Orbi does not support being configured as a VPN "Client" which would allow every device on the local LAN to go through a VPN tunnel to a VPN host network somewhere (like NordVPN, ExpressVPN, etc.)  This is a disappointment to many people.

Orbi is perfectly compatible with VPN clients on the local LAN going through a VPN tunnel that passes through the Orbi and the internet on the way to one of those VPN hosts.

The obvious reason to set up the local router as a VPN client is to avoid having to purchase licenses for every device in the home that you want to use over a VPN.  There are routers that can be set up as a VPN client, but not the Netgear Orbi firmware. 

This is probably not what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 4
LaSabana
Aspirant

CrimpOn, thanks for your reply. Maybe i am not describing well with what i am looking to do. Currently, i have two systems, a laptop that runs on our WiFi and a desktop that is connected directly to the ORBI. While i see your point, I am uncertain which way is the better approach. So, what i am trying to do is set up a VPN that covers ONLY these two systems so that we can conduct financial transactions with some ease. I see many paid VPN's that cover up to 5 systems and this not the way i want to go but instead a very limited approach. Does this make any sense? Since i am currrently, running W10 Home with latest update; I am hoping that i can utilize the free built in VPN? Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@LaSabana wrote:

So, what i am trying to do is set up a VPN that covers ONLY these two systems so that we can conduct financial transactions with some ease. I see many paid VPN's that cover up to 5 systems and this not the way i want to go but instead a very limited approach.

What you want to do is very clear.  Unfortunately, that is not what the Orbi's OpenVPN feature does.  Orbi OpenVPN provide "in" and you want "out".  Even if there were some software that could be loaded to make the Orbi a "VPN Client", you would still need to have access to a VPN Host, which is where the fee comes in.

I am not convinced that VPN is a requirement to make financial transactions secure.  Most financial institution web sites are secured (i.e. https), and many of them allow for "2 factor authentication".  The https encryption means that the conversation cannot be "snooped", and 2 factor authentication would keep someone from impersonating you even if they somehow learned your user ID and password.

I may be incorrect (often), but it seems to me that the principal selling point to VPN is that it obscures (hides) (a) where you are located (IP address), (b) what kind of browser you are using, and (c) other "stuff".  The "tunnel" goes from your device to the VPN Host.  From there, everything appears to be coming from the Host, rather than from you.

There are routers that can be set up as a VPN Client, but my impression is that you would still need to purchase access to a VPN service, which you can do already for the two computers.

Sorry.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7