Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up the Orbi (again) but on a new broadband router/supplier

conker89
Aspirant

Setting up the Orbi (again) but on a new broadband router/supplier

HI Everyone

Hoping someone can assist or point me in the right direction. I have the RBS50 and 2 satellites, which I set up a while ago in my old house with assistance from someone on here and the Orbi support team.

I've now moved house and changed broadband supplier, so have a new router, the BT HomeHub 2.

What I want to do is recreate my previous setup using my 3 Orbi units around the property. If I recall, there needed to be a change to make the router an access point? 

Does anyone have direct experience in setting this up, I can following technical advice with relative understanding but I don't really know my way around the home hub and can't recall what was done in the original setup. Keen to get this in place relatively quickly so that I can start setting up my other devices which require internet access, without adding them all to the BT network.

Thanks

Simon 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Setting up the Orbi (again) but on a new broadband router/supplier

@conker89 wrote:

HI Everyone

I've now moved house and changed broadband supplier, so have a new router, the BT HomeHub 2.

What I want to do is recreate my previous setup using my 3 Orbi units around the property. If I recall, there needed to be a change to make the router an access point? 

Does anyone have direct experience in setting this up, I can following technical advice with relative understanding but I don't really know my way around the home hub and can't recall what was done in the original setup. Keen to get this in place relatively quickly so that I can start setting up my other devices which require internet access, without adding them all to the BT network.

First I would factory reset the Orbi router. Then run the app and setup as if a new system, following the prompts, setup as access point. Once the Orbi router setup is complete, configure the satellites. Go to orbilogin.com, sign in and make sure your router is in access point mode. If not, change it.

Message 2 of 5
conker89
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

@conker89 wrote:

HI Everyone

First I would factory reset the Orbi router. Then run the app and setup as if a new system, following the prompts, setup as access point. Once the Orbi router setup is complete, configure the satellites. Go to orbilogin.com, sign in and make sure your router is in access point mode. If not, change it.

Thanks, I've followed most of this and the Orbi network is now setup, apparently running parallel to the original BT network. The issue I am having now is when I try to login to orbilogin.com as you suggested, it's not letting me, suggesting that it's not secure. I keep trying various password combinations that it would likely be, plus the apparent default of 'password' but no joy. This was the part of the process thatdid concern me the most as I don't want a clash between networks, the only available network should be the new Orbi network. Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@conker89 wrote:

Thanks, I've followed most of this and the Orbi network is now setup, apparently running parallel to the original BT network. The issue I am having now is when I try to login to orbilogin.com as you suggested, it's not letting me, suggesting that it's not secure. I keep trying various password combinations that it would likely be, plus the apparent default of 'password' but no joy. This was the part of the process thatdid concern me the most as I don't want a clash between networks, the only available network should be the new Orbi network. Any suggestions?

When logging into orbi;ogin.com it always shows insecure network. The username is admin and the password is the password you chose when you set it up. 

Message 4 of 5
conker89
Aspirant

Thanks for you assistance so far, been very helpful. I've managed to reset the password to grant access to the login and have changed the Orbi router to AP mode within the advanced settings. Am I right in thinking that this is now the Orbi setup as far as a network and if so, do I now need to attempt to change the BT router so that it is not putting out a conflicting wifi network? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7