Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup RB50 with a satellite router RB20

JLCatap1
Aspirant

Setup RB50 with a satellite router RB20

I have a system consisting of an RB50 router and a satellite. I plan to buy an RB20 and add it to my wifi network. Is it possible to do that? And would my network lose a lot in quality? Thank you!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Setup RB50 with a satellite router RB20

Yep. Just make sure the RBS is updated on it's FW. 

Won't be a problem. I have a RBS20 connected to my RBK50 system. Though I like my RBS wired. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@JLCatap1 wrote:

I have a system consisting of an RB50 router and a satellite. I plan to buy an RB20 and add it to my wifi network. Is it possible to do that? And would my network lose a lot in quality? Thank you!

Just to clarify.  Routers have an "R" in the product number, such as RBR50. Satellites have an "S" in the product number, such as RBS20.

It is perfectly fine to add an RBS20 satellite to the existing RBR50 router.

It is NOT a good idea to add an RBR20 router to the existing RBR50 router.

That will create two separate WiFi networks, thus defeating the purpose of the "mesh".  Even if the second router is given exactly the same SSID/password as the existing router, they will be entirely separate WiFi networks. Devices will not "roam" from one system to the other.

Sorry to be so dramatic. (Some people think I am overly picky about tiny details.)

Message 3 of 5
JLCatap1
Aspirant

I get it. Thank you very much for your help. In fact, I would buy the RBR20 to integrate into a network created by an RBR50, thus creating a second network instead of expanding this network. The solution I found will be to pass cables through the house to the point where the Wi-Fi signal does not arrive.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7