Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setup with Centurylink

hawk47
Aspirant

Setup with Centurylink

I recently switched to Centurylink and I am trying to setup my Orbi router and satalites but each time I get to the part where it tells me to go to wifi settings and select the Orbi network I can't because it is not there. Any help? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a new Orbi, or an Orbi that was working on the system you had before CenturyLink?

Message 2 of 11
hawk47
Aspirant

I have not used it with centurylink. I use to have Xfinity but just switched today to centurylink 

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Was it set up and working with the Xfiinity, or is this a new Orbi that you are setting up for the first time?

Message 4 of 11
hawk47
Aspirant

It was setup and working perfectly with Xfinity. When I am trying to set it up there is a point where you are suppose to select the Orbi wifi under network settings but the network name Orbi does not display. 

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

If it was working before, and you have not done a "factory reset", then the Orbi will still have the same WiFi name (SSID) and password that it did before.  All you should need to do is connect it to the new modem and it should come up.  There is no need to do a "setup" again unless you want to change something.

The one issue people sometimes have is when they have assigned IP addresses to devices (In the Advanced Tab, LAN Setup) and the CenturyLink modem is not the same type of modem as the Xfinity.

Do you see the old WiFi name on the list of WiFi networks?

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

and, when they are brand new, Orbi's broadcast a WiFi name that has the letters "ORBI" plus a number, such as "ORBI58".

Message 7 of 11
hawk47
Aspirant

I have not done a factory reset and yeah the Orbi name with a number does not come up. I did change some stuff . The centurylink modem is a differnet modem than what the Orbi was connected to before. I can check to see if I see the old wifi name.. 

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

If it turns out that you have "a problem", it will be useful to know exactly which Xfinity and CenturyLink products are involved.

Some products are "only a modem" (which Orbi works best with).  Some are a "modem/router".  And, some are combiniation "modem/router/WiFi".  They have different ways of assigning a network (IP) address to the Orbi.

I do not expect a "problem", but if you do run into anything, there are really smart people on this forum who have "seen it before."

Message 9 of 11
hawk47
Aspirant

thank you for responding to all my posts. I did the factory reset and that did it! It is up and running now! Thank you, 

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This is great.  If you mark the post "Solved" it will help others on the forum.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7