Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Severe Packet Loss on Orbi RBR50

sonicspriter202
Aspirant

Severe Packet Loss on Orbi RBR50

To whom this may concern,

I have purchased my Orbi RBR50 last year at a local BestBuy, since I needed a stable Wi-Fi extension that can extend my connection due to my router being at the opposite side of the house from where I use my PC. 

The firmware version that I'm currently using is V2.7.2.104, which is up-to-date: the satellite model is an Orbi RBS50

I've been starting to have this packet loss problem since August of 2020; since then, I've tried restoring to older firmware versions (which did work for a short period of time) before I started to get packet loss again. I tried to fix it by updating my firmware again, but that did not work causing me to reset my router. After resetting my router, I updated it and it was working fine until last week. I tried using the same methods from before, but none of them would work; its as if the mesh/router became immune to those solutions. 

The packet loss that used to happen was very minor and would occur every hour, whereas now, it occurs atleast every 5-10 minutes or when it's trying to upload or download more packets in games that are competitive. My download speeds are 330 MBPS, and my upload speeds are 16 MBPS, with my ping at 0 according to the SpeedTest website and the Orbi Netgear app. Anything like video streaming, online web calls or gaming causes the ping to rise from 20 to 80, and have consistent packet loss (around 60% to 95% packet loss). I cannot use ethernet from the RBR50 since it is located halfway between the house in order to maintain those high download and upload speeds. Bringing the RBR50 closer decreases the download and upload speeds, and moving it further reduces the bandwidth it has to my computer.

Any type of help would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Severe Packet Loss on Orbi RBR50

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What are you testing with to check packet loss? 

I'd turn OFF all RBS and all wired and wireless devices and test with just one wired PC connected at the ISP modem and check packet loss here first using pingplotter.com. Then test with the RBR in the middle. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What are you testing with to check packet loss? 

I'd turn OFF all RBS and all wired and wireless devices and test with just one wired PC connected at the ISP modem and check packet loss here first using pingplotter.com. Then test with the RBR in the middle. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with @FURRYe38 that identifying the source of the problem is essential.  If the problem is external, then changing the Orbi cannot accomplish anything.

Assuming that the ISP connection checks out, there are two WiFi links to consider:

• The 5G WiFi backhaul link between Orbi router and satellite.
  • The 5G WiFi link between satellite and PC.

The specific channel varies by Region. (See page 143 of the User Manual.)  5G WiFi is not affected by as many types of interference as the older 2.4G channels are (microwaves, portable phones, too many neighbors, etc.)  In some locations, weather and military radar causes the Orbi to change backhaul channels.

Installing permanent ethernet cable if often impractical or expensive, but temporary use of a long ethernet patch cable can be useful for diagnosis.  Amazon sells 100ft. ethernet cables for about $20US.  Such a cable could be used, for example, to check the ISP service without moving the gaming computer.  Could even run it outside the house.

(A tiny technical note: the description of "bringing the RBR50 closer..." probably refers to moving the satellite, not the router.)

Message 3 of 7
sonicspriter202
Aspirant

I tried turning off the satellites and disconnecting each device individually until I found one that was causing packet loss.
After that process, I found out that it was my PS4 that was using up majority of the Wi-Fi bandwidth.
The games I used to benchmark the packet loss issues were Brawlhalla and Fortnite.
I will keep you guys updated if the packet loss issues occur again. Thanks for the help!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.

Message 5 of 7
RookA
Aspirant

FW - V2.7.3.22 for both Router and Satellite.

Modem - Arris BGW210-700

I have been using pingplotter to check packet loss once I noticed it occuring. 

I tested with my pc wired to just the modem and no other devices on the network for about an hour and ping stayed under 30ms with <1% PL.  I then connected the RBR to the modem and hardwired the pc to the RBR and again experienced no higher than 30ms ping with <1% PL.  

Then I added the satellite back into the mix. It is 1 floor directly above my modem and router and gave a blue ring following syncing.  (It still shows a "config sync" status in orbilogin.net).  However, I disabled my WLAN card in my pc and hardwired to the satellite to ensure no interference.  I saw roughly 5-7 ping spikes a minute at hop 1 carried through to the destination up to ~2900ms. PL% was around 28% for the duration.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

If your not seeing a GOOD status and only Config Sync, then the RBS is not fully syncing correctly. You'll need to remove the prior RBS connection from the RBR, apply the setting there. Factory reset the RBS and then attempt to re-sync it. IF this fails, you'll need to factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

@RookA wrote:

FW - V2.7.3.22 for both Router and Satellite.

Modem - Arris BGW210-700

I have been using pingplotter to check packet loss once I noticed it occuring. 

I tested with my pc wired to just the modem and no other devices on the network for about an hour and ping stayed under 30ms with <1% PL.  I then connected the RBR to the modem and hardwired the pc to the RBR and again experienced no higher than 30ms ping with <1% PL.  

Then I added the satellite back into the mix. It is 1 floor directly above my modem and router and gave a blue ring following syncing.  (It still shows a "config sync" status in orbilogin.net).  However, I disabled my WLAN card in my pc and hardwired to the satellite to ensure no interference.  I saw roughly 5-7 ping spikes a minute at hop 1 carried through to the destination up to ~2900ms. PL% was around 28% for the duration.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7