Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I buy from Verizon or Amazon?

Ned_O
Aspirant

Should I buy from Verizon or Amazon?

Hi I am a Verizon Fios TV/Phone/Internet customer.

I currently have the FIOS actiontec router and a moca extender.

My contract is up and the wifi is not keeping up to all the devices in the house.

So I am going to upgrade to the Quantum Router probably Friday, hoping they have some deals.

I am thinking about the Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Verizon has it on sale today for $279 but is $278 at Amazon all the time. The one I would get from Verizon direct has does not get its firmware from Netgear but from Verizon.  So I am wondering if I should buy that one or get the Amazon one that gets firmware direct from Netgear.

I have read some previous posts on this forum and it looks like either way I would have to use Orbi in AP mode only since I have TV and a fair amount of hardwired cat 5 drops and a switch that plugs into the actiontec now. I guess I could move that switch , my NAS and WDCloud to the Orbi.

Has anyone compared what diffreneces there are between the verizon and netgear firmwares? Does the verizon one give any advantages since it is tailored for FIOS or it is just gimping it in someway? Can you still use the circle parental controls if you are in AP mode?

Maybe I should try run the quantum gateway in bridge mode instead?  How is the Orbi interface if you do use it as a router?
Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Should I buy from Verizon or Amazon?

If you buy from Verizon, then you have to get official support for your Orbi from Verizon.

If you buy from Amazon, then official support you can get from NetGear directly and here in the forums.

https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

https://kb.netgear.com/000059619/How-do-I-set-up-the-Orbi-system-that-I-purchased-directly-from-Veri...

Message 2 of 7
Ned_O
Aspirant

Thanks.

I know that the firmware and this support will come from verizon if you buy from them and from netgear if you buy from Amazon. Wondering if anyone has experience with both firmwares and if one is better.  At least as far as FIOS is concerned.

Getting firmware from Netgear would normally be preferable, I would assume it would be more current. But does the verizon one do anything special to interact with the FIOS router or ONT?

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, NG does work on keeping there systems up to date. It does take a while for NG to release so user need to keep an eye on NG support site. 

Most ISP can interact with there service interface HW. However I only presume thats on a diagnostic need or when troubleshooting with customers.

Message 4 of 7
wchp
Luminary

Or buy from Costco which is currently selling the RBK53 for $299 (Router and TWO satellites)

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 7
orbifan2018
Initiate

Yep, this is what I just did.  Great coverge with the three units.  My setup is also with the Verizon Actiontec.  I am a bit not clear whether the Actiontec would be better if setup as a bridge only.  I am wired to some points in my house I need to plug in couple hubs.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You can definately get one from Costco. Support would be handled by NG. 

@wchp wrote:

Or buy from Costco which is currently selling the RBK53 for $299 (Router and TWO satellites)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7