Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I enable Advanced Wireless options - Implicit BEAMFORMING, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming?

Hamstar
Guide

Should I enable Advanced Wireless options - Implicit BEAMFORMING, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming?

I have been using my new ORBI system for 3 weeks now and it is using the recent Router Firmware Version V2.1.4.16.  The system is the RBK53/AC3000 with 1 Orbi Router (RBR50) and 2 Orbi Salellites (RBS50).

I have 3 nest cameras (2 outdoor and 1 indoor) using 5GHz. One of my outdoor cameras is closer to one of the satellites, but instead is connecting to the router and only shows 1 bar when I look at it using the iPhone app (link rates of 25 - 100 Mbps when I check).  I have seen a couple of 2-5 minute drops from the outdoor cameras since I installed the system and wondered why it isn't connected to the faster satellites.  Both satellites are 10-12 feet away from the cameras that are mounted on the outside wall.

I spoke with Netgear tech support today and they told me to enable three settings in the Advanced Wireless Setup:  Implicit BEANFORMING, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming.  Some older posts say not to do this, others say enable BEANFORMING and MU-MIMO but not Fast Roaming.

For my system using firmware v.2.1.4.16, should I enable any of these (or other settings)?

Is anyone using Nestcam outdoor cameras with the Orbi and have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Re: Should I enable Advanced Wireless options - Implicit BEAMFORMING, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming?

Following.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Should I enable Advanced Wireless options - Implicit BEAMFORMING, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming?

Beamforming can be enabled. I use this. MIMO is for use with client devices that support MIMO as well, so if you have few or several devices that support MIMO, then you can enable this. If you only have one or two devices that support MIMO, then depend upon usage and operation, you may disable MIMO. I only have one device that supports MIMO so it's not really important. You'll need to contact the Mfr of your devices to see what is MIMO supported. Fast Roaming is for devices that roam around while you using the device. Some devices don't handle roaming themselves or not designed to roam while in use so depending upon the device, Fast Roaming may or may not be needed. Seen others post were it has causes some probems so they disable it.

Over all you'll need to try using these features to see what works best for your devices. The only feature I use is Beamforming.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7