Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should be able to create separate networks

DaveEdmonds
Guide

Should be able to create separate networks

Even my old Apple Extreme router allowed you to set separate 2.4 and 5GHZ networks so you could have separate SSIDs for each. This would help all of us tha are having issues with the various security cameras out there.

No excuse for a product this expensive in my opinion. I have an old Apple Extreme router connected via Ethernet to a satellite module in order for my security camera to be functional, really dumb the Orbi can't do this.

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Should be able to create separate networks

Every WiFi camera that I have installed has involved the smartphone app creating a QR code and pointing the camera at it.

Reolink, Wyze, Yi, TP-Link (KASA). The WiFi SSID/password are encoded in the QR code. Camera reads code and connects.

Internet of Things (IoT) devices with no keyboard or camera can run into problems when the smartphone app is poorly written, but cameras?

Perhaps it would help to identify the brand and model of camera.  Someone on the forum may have experience with them.

Message 2 of 12
vajim
Master

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

Even my old Apple Extreme router allowed you to set separate 2.4 and 5GHZ networks so you could have separate SSIDs for each. This would help all of us tha are having issues with the various security cameras out there.

No excuse for a product this expensive in my opinion. I have an old Apple Extreme router connected via Ethernet to a satellite module in order for my security camera to be functional, really dumb the Orbi can't do this.

Your apple extreme router was NOT a mesh system 

Message 3 of 12
DaveEdmonds
Guide

AND YOUR POINT IS?

@vajim wrote:

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

Message 4 of 12
vajim
Master

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

AND YOUR POINT IS?

@vajim wrote:

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

Let me guess..,,,,,you have no clue what a MESH system is......how'd I do?

Message 5 of 12
DaveEdmonds
Guide

Being an ex network manager yeah I have no idea. The bottom line is this, this product has caused more than just a few people to have issues connecting security cameras and others. THAT's the bottom line, what's you excuse for poor design? "It's a mesh system" Yeah ok.

Message 6 of 12
vajim
Master

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

Being an ex network manager yeah I have no idea. The bottom line is this, this product has caused more than just a few people to have issues connecting security cameras and others. THAT's the bottom line, what's you excuse for poor design? "It's a mesh system" Yeah ok.

You could have saved yourself some grief by performing a simple search here and see that there are several work arounds for your desire to separate freqs.  However, out of the box in it's true Mesh design that is not the intent.  But as a former network manager I'm sure you know that.

Try to relax, learn all you can, and the Orbi will become your new friend.

Message 7 of 12
DaveEdmonds
Guide

I love the Orbi but if there are many devices that will wander and not stay stable that is a design problem. I have numerous legacy devices that have no issues connecting at all. BUT when you have such a large segment of your customers that are having issues that's a problem not a snooty "if your a network manager" you would know issue. This is for you since I believe you need a mesh 101 refresher. It's simplistic enough that you should be able to understand it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_mesh_network

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

If the point is to get specific cameras to function properly, it might help to know what they are.

Message 9 of 12
vajim
Master

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

I love the Orbi but if there are many devices that will wander and not stay stable that is a design problem. I have numerous legacy devices that have no issues connecting at all. BUT when you have such a large segment of your customers that are having issues that's a problem not a snooty "if your a network manager" you would know issue. This is for you since I believe you need a mesh 101 refresher. It's simplistic enough that you should be able to understand it.

Well it's becoming clearer that you have a hard spot for the Orbi or better yet perhaps Netgear.   I'm not the one who will stand here and argue your position.  My only advice at this point is perhaps you should move beyond the Orbi and look elsewhere for support to your network.  

FYI...I'm in no need for a mesh 101 refresher.  In the years that I've owned my Orbi I've worked out the problems I've encountered and called it a day while I learned  If not I would have moved on long ago.  What you refer to as a design problem may be just that unfortunately this forum will net you no return on your time invested.   Netgear corporate eagerly awaits your input and we await the results.

Message 10 of 12
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

User beware> vajim
Has a long history of being a forum troll. Not helpful what so ever with users forum posts and bagering users that do help out. 

Your best to listen to more experienced users in this forum and in other threads. Orbi doesn't support separation of wifi networks by netgear at all. There is a forum thread that discusses users who have. Also you can try Voxels firmware for orbi as well, though I believe the same process is needed to separate networks. Other than this, orbi works as designed for most users with out any modification. Users choice though. 

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

Well it's becoming clearer that you have a hard spot for the Orbi or better yet perhaps Netgear.   I'm not the one who will stand here and argue your position.  My only advice at this point is perhaps you should move beyond the Orbi and look elsewhere for support to your network.  

FYI...I'm in no need for a mesh 101 refresher.  In the years that I've owned my Orbi I've worked out the problems I've encountered and called it a day while I learned  If not I would have moved on long ago.  What you refer to as a design problem may be just that unfortunately this forum will net you no return on your time invested.   Netgear corporate eagerly awaits your input and we await the results.

Message 11 of 12
vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate wrote:
User beware> Boilerplate 

Has a long history of being a forum troll. Not helpful what so ever with users forum posts and bagering users that do help out. 

And as you can see.....once again no one asked for his opinion.   Admin reports several demerits assigned to him.    You have been warned 

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7