Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should the RBK40 wired backhaul work in a daisy chain as well as star topology?

marcosscriven
Aspirant

Should the RBK40 wired backhaul work in a daisy chain as well as star topology?

Just got the RBK40 today after getting fed up with the Google Wifi.

I have a wire between my two floors, so tried out wired backhaul according to this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

However, it only seem to work in the star topology, with the router port 1 connected to the the satellite port 1. In that setup I can see in the status the backhaul is wired, and I can also chain a local hub off port 2 of the satellite to get wired connections there.

What doesn't seem to work is the router port 1 to my upstairs hub, then the hub to the satellite port 1.

I'd prefer the latter only because then the upstairs wired network (printer, mac mini etc) wouldn't have to go through the satellite at all, and would be unaffected if it went down or rebooted.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Should the RBK40 wired backhaul work in a daisy chain as well as star topology?

Ensure Daisy Chain is disabled on the router, as this is for wireless Daisy Chainging satellites together.

I presume if you phsyically connected one satellited to the other via eithernet cable, this should work. I've never tried this.

What is the Mfr and model# of your ethernet switch? Managed or Non Managed? "What doesn't seem to work is the router port 1 to my upstairs hub, then the hub to the satellite port 1." This should work. I use this and have two switches in between my base router and my 1 satellite.

Message 2 of 8
marcosscriven
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 - I tried turning off daisy chain mode, and it still didn’t work. 

What did work is changing the topology slightly (where by ‘hub’ I mean a simple switch, ‘router’ the RBK40, and ‘sat’ the satellite):

530EF99A-CBA0-437F-8819-96E2C9107F7C.jpeg

I don’t know why the second layout doesn’t work?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of your ethernet switch?

Message 4 of 8
marcosscriven
Aspirant

The switch on the satellite side is a TP-Link SG1008D

On the RBK40 router side it’s a Netgear GS308-100UKS

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

How about swapping switches around?

Also try with out either switch...

Message 6 of 8
marcosscriven
Aspirant

As I say, I do have it working now, so I’ll leave it. I see no reason though why it should not work in the other option I drew. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree. Enjoy it. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7