Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Signal Strength

packgreen49
Aspirant

Signal Strength

On the wireless setting.  Why am I getting a Stronger setting when I am 30 feet from the router than right by the router.  Something like 100 at the router and 300 about 30 feet from the outer?  My service is 500.

Ron

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Signal Strength

Signal propagation depending upon buiding materials, surroundings and noise and interference will be a factor. Usually strong signals near the source can be over powering to connected devices. Getting distance will cause the signal to improve for the device. Most distances starting are around 6 feet from the RBR. 30 feet seems to be the sweet spot for RBR and RBS wifi over lap connections so RBS at 30 feet is a good starting point and beyond. Depending upon building materials of course. 

Message 2 of 8
packgreen49
Aspirant

Even my Ethernet connection was low (100).

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Is your ethernet adapter connecting at 100Mbps or 1000Mbps to the back of the RBR? 

Message 4 of 8
packgreen49
Aspirant

Firmware: V2.3.5.6

The Modem is supplied by WOW cable. Its ARRIS SB6183.

Small townhouse maybe 2,000sq.ft.

I am assuming its operating has a router.

You gave me a checklist of items to check.  I will go through each of them.  I would assume everthing is auto.

I have neighbors of each side of me.

Ron

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@packgreen49 wrote:

On the wireless setting.  Why am I getting a Stronger setting when I am 30 feet from the router than right by the router.  Something like 100 at the router and 300 about 30 feet from the outer?  My service is 500.

There is a difference between "Speed" and and "Signal Strength".  Signal strength is always measured in dBmv and is always a negative number.  The lower (more negative) the number, the lower the signal.  There are programs for laptops and smartphones which will display the actual signal strength of the various Orbi routers (2.4G user, 5G user, 5G "backhaul")  I, personally use WiFi  Analyzer on my Android phone and Galaxy Tablet.  Signal strength will always be lower the farther away the device is from the Orbi radio.

Download speed may be related to signal strength, but the relationship is not obvious.  As long as the connection between Orbi and device is "good enough", the download speed will be a function of the ISP bandwidth and the Orbi internal processing capability.  There are all sorts of posts remarking on the Orbi's inability to keep up with today's faster bandwidth.  The Orbi product was designed in 2016, when 100mb connections were rare.  Today, people routinely get gigabit connections, and the Orbi simply cannot process packets that fast.  The new Orbi WiFi 6 product is supposed to handle much higher connections.  (It also starts at $800 for a set!)

Message 6 of 8
packgreen49
Aspirant

The problem was the maximum I can receive is 100.  Anything over 100 didn't matter.  The card maximum is 100.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@packgreen49 wrote:

The problem was the maximum I can receive is 100.  Anything over 100 didn't matter.  The card maximum is 100.

The "card"?  The modem?  The device you were measuring speed with?  (I understand the mystery is solved, but it would give me "closure" to understand.  Thanks)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7