Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Since Installing Orbi, multiple network issues...Wired & Wireless

markdorsey
Aspirant

Since Installing Orbi, multiple network issues...Wired & Wireless

I have a regional ISP, SuddenLink, and the router that was issued with this service is an ARRIS DG1660A/SL. Roughly 5 months ago, now, I purchased and installed an ORBI RBK50 Router and Extender (satelite). Since then, I have experienced dropped network for a myriad of items in the house (thermostat, MyQ garage door opener, gaming consoles, laptops, etc). But, have also expereinced intemittent wired connection for our game room Xbox One X. That is, we have a wired connection, that at times, will not connect, and the only way to connect is to go wireless. Then, at times, the wireless will not connect, and we plug the ethernet cable back in.

All of the issues are ocurring once we installed the ORBI. I can gather, from the many mediums for such complaints, or voiced issues, that there are some settings that must be figured out. Unfortunately, most people talk about chainging settings, but have been unable to address, in detial, how one does so. Can anyone help me to understand what I need to do? I love the network strength, when the mesh works....but, am not a fan of the way our network works in totality, since installing the Orbi system.

My house is 2400 sq ft, so should have more than enough mesh coverage...just, certainly seems to me, that the setting are in need of some changes to hopefully allow this set up to work.

Thanks in advance....

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
markdorsey
Aspirant

Ok, so not sure I can speak to all that was brought into play, above. But, I did log in to the admin portal for my Arris Touchstone Gateway, and disabled the wireless on both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. After doing so, and resetiing all (router/gateway, the Orbi R and Orbi S), all seems to be working, now.

The proof will be in if the intermittent nature of the service happens, again.

Thanks for your input and I will look further upon/if more interruptions in service continue. At this time, the Xbox is connected via Ethernet, the thermostat is online, the garage opener is online, as well as my work and home PC's.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If your modem has a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 8
markdorsey
Aspirant

Ok, so not sure I can speak to all that was brought into play, above. But, I did log in to the admin portal for my Arris Touchstone Gateway, and disabled the wireless on both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. After doing so, and resetiing all (router/gateway, the Orbi R and Orbi S), all seems to be working, now.

The proof will be in if the intermittent nature of the service happens, again.

Thanks for your input and I will look further upon/if more interruptions in service continue. At this time, the Xbox is connected via Ethernet, the thermostat is online, the garage opener is online, as well as my work and home PC's.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully thats all that was needed. Ya, if the modems wifi was enabled, then this was probably causing noise and some interferences. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 8
markdorsey
Aspirant

Well, I just returned home, and both my wired Xbox and my Wired PC were showing no connection. I am at a complete loss.

If my only measure, thus far, was to disable the wifi from the Arris Gateway/Router, is there any logical next step to remedy the issue? That is, by my wired connections being intermittent, would this point to another adjustment on the gateway, the Orbi, or both, in someone's estimate or experience?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So more than disabling of the modems wifi maybe needed, Review the suggesions for having a modem and router built in. Try option #1 first, if not then #2. #3 is the easiest...

Message 6 of 8
markdorsey
Aspirant

So, is it normally this difficult to add Orbi to an existing environment, or is this something specific to Arris, cable modems? I guess my ask is, is this the part bo one talks about openly, as for buying a mesh network, and I have bitten off more than I can chew? Or, am I just experiencing something a bit more on the rare side, as these things normally plug n play well?
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

They work well when they are the only central wifi system. However the main issue is that you have a double nat condition which isn't normal or recommended. Having two routers on the same line can cause problems like what your seeing. 

So the 3 suggestions are there to help clear this condition and most cases resolves problems like what your seeing. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7