Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Single Broadcast Issues

ryanjohn04
Guide

Single Broadcast Issues

I have been having this issue since day one with Orbi.  I don't understand why they do not create an option where there is a drop down for all the connected macids that say "dual", "5ghz" or "2.4ghz".  Let me explain my situation.  I have nest cams and wifi doorbell that are connected to 5ghz.  As we know 5ghz doesnt penetrate walls well, so the connection is slow.  They would be better off on 2.4ghz but orbi keeps them on a slow 5 ghz connection.  My solution is very simple from a programming standpoint and would solve all my issues.  Curious what group thinks.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
st_shaw
Master

It's because the client, not the router, ultimately decides which band to connect to.

A better question would be to ask Ring and Nest why they do not have an option on their devices to choose 2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz.

There is a recent post that describes a "hack" to create separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz.  This would allow you to lock your devices to one band, but could have negative impact on roaming or other side effects.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Using the 2.4 GHz band isn't a perfect solution either. If it were, then all cameras would be 2.4 only.

Message 2 of 4
ryanjohn04
Guide

st_shaw- definitley all good points.  I just feel like its such an easy thing to code into the firmware why not give us that option for these type of situations. Also would love a dropdown for satelittle selection as well.  Sometimes my stationary devices just pick whichever satelitte is first to come online after a reboot, when one closer is actually a better option for proximity.  Do you know of any mesh systems that seperately broadcast band ssids?

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Ubiquiti Amplifi is supposed to support separate SSIDs. Google WiFi, Velop, and Eero all use a single SSID, just like Orbi.  I'm not sure about the others.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7