Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Single Network Name for wired and wireless network

shariquenadeem
Initiate

Single Network Name for wired and wireless network

Here is the details on current setup on my home network.

I have a Motorola Modem/Router provided by ATT Fiber, it is in my communication box. One of the ethernet port from Motorola connects to Netgear Switch (16 port) that distributes the internet to several LAN ports across home. 

One of the LAN port (activated through Switch) have the Orbi Router connected. 

So, primarily all the wired LAN ports gets internet through the Motorola Modem via switch including Orbi Router.

Now I have the WiFi radio turned off for Motorola Modem, so it only provided wired internet through switch. And I use Orbi Router as Access Point to activate WiFi signal throughout home.

My Orbi network name is different from the network name in Motorola. Orbi has my custom network name and Motorola has factory default network name.

Question - I want to have the same network name for both Orbi and Motorola, or to be more specific I want all devices connected in my home either WiFi (via Orbi) or wired (via LAN ports, through Motorola/Switch) to be recognized as to be in same network. Right now my Smart TV (connected via wired LAN) does not identify Google Home (connected via Orbi WiFi) to be on same network and hence I am unable to make them talk/connect to each other.

How can I achive this. Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Yes.  Turn off the WiFi radios on the Motorola.  It should not matter what name you use for the Motorola WiFi network, because you will not be using it.

The way you have things wired now, if Orbi is not setup in AP mode, Orbi will isolate everything plugged into the Motorola and switch from anything connected to the Orbi WiFi or LAN ports.  That's working as designed, with Orbi in Router mode.  Change Orbi to AP mode and you will be good.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

If you set Orbi to Access Point mode using the management GUI under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Router/AP Mode, then all your wired and wireless devices will be on the same network and will be able to see each other.

Message 2 of 4
shariquenadeem
Initiate

Ok, let me try. Shall I keep the Network Name same for both Motorola and Orbi? Any other settings that I need to update or change on either of the devices?

Also, still keep the WiFi radio off for Motorola, correct?

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Yes.  Turn off the WiFi radios on the Motorola.  It should not matter what name you use for the Motorola WiFi network, because you will not be using it.

The way you have things wired now, if Orbi is not setup in AP mode, Orbi will isolate everything plugged into the Motorola and switch from anything connected to the Orbi WiFi or LAN ports.  That's working as designed, with Orbi in Router mode.  Change Orbi to AP mode and you will be good.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7