Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sky Q and orbi

Neel1994
Tutor

Sky Q and orbi

Hi chaps.

So I recently purchased an orbi and everything is running great! Apart from my damn sky Q!!

The main box keeps disconnecting from the Orbi and I’ll get an X next to the network settings on the Sky Q... it doesn’t reconnect and I then have to re enter the password etc to get it back up and running and then BAM, it disconnects again.

Any suggestions from anyone using the Sky Q with an Orbi?

My orbi is set up in AP mode.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 9
Neel1994
Tutor

Well tbh I think I’ve found the problem....

My router is on the second floor of my 7000sqft home and my satellite 1 is in my kitchen where the main sky box is. The problem I’m seeing is that on the orbi admin page I can see my sky box is connecting direct to the router?!?! Why is this? It is way too far away to have a stable connection. How can I get it to connect to my satellite instead?
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Had you tried rebooting the Q device to see if it will connect to the satellite?

Can also try rebootting the router while leaving the satellite and Q online and see if the Q will connect to the satellite.

How close is the Q to the satellite?

Does the Q have a RJ45 port in back?

Message 4 of 9
Neel1994
Tutor

Okay so my house is 7000 sq ft. The router is an EE 4G router. The orbi is in AP mode.

The sky q can be connected via wired but this isn’t possible. The thing is my smart tv will connect to the satellite but the sky Q decides to jump to the router after 15 mins of being connected to the satellite. Everything else remains connected to the satellite.

I also don’t understand how I have a poor backhaul for my satellite status as it changes from good to poor every few days and vice verca. And I’m receiving 200MB DL from the satellite which is same as when I’m connected to router. So I’m not sure if the status is a glitch. There is no residents causing interruption. I live on 3 acres of my own.

I’d say the satellite is about 30ft exactly. Though I do have pretty concrete walls.

What baffles me is that the satellite is in the same damn room as the Sky Q !! So why would it want to jump all the way to the router which is pretty far away. Is there a setting where I can stop this from happening?
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume there maybe a wifi issue at the Sky Q device.

I would contact the Mfr and ask for some information regarding it. Check to see if the wifi drivers on it are up to date...

Try setting the power level on the routers wifi from 100% to 75 or 50%...

Message 6 of 9
Neel1994
Tutor

I will try lowering the power as you’ve said.

Does this only reduce the power of WiFi emitting on the router alone? Or does it effect the power of the satellites as well?
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I think it's only just the router...Let us know how it goes...

Message 8 of 9
Caroline285
Initiate

@Neel1994 wrote:
Hi chaps.

So I recently purchased an orbi and everything is running great! Apart from my damn sky Q!!

The main box keeps disconnecting from the Orbi and I’ll get an X next to the network settings on the Sky Q... it doesn’t reconnect and I then have to re enter the password etc to get it back up and running and then BAM, it disconnects again.

Any suggestions from anyone using the Sky Q with an Orbi?

My orbi is set up in AP mode.

Did you find any solution to this?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7